Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users [Debian, Ethernet, crazy ideas] Data transfer, the hard way... Post 302412905 by pludi on Wednesday 14th of April 2010 01:15:08 AM
Old 04-14-2010
It's a common misconception, backed by the PC manufacturers, that opening a PC will void the warranty. This is not true, as a PC (Personal Computer) by definition can be Personalized by adding (not replacing) new hardware, provided this is all you do. As long as you apply great care, and maybe document your steps (to be on the safe side), you shouldn't have any problems.

If you think this is too risky: generally, you can move the discs to the old PC, and Debian should largely boot as if nothing happened. If it does give you problems, boot it into single user mode (append "init=S" to the kernel arguments), and disable the services that act up. To connect the 2 PCs, unless you also have a hub or switch lying around, you'll need a crossover cable.

One thing to keep in mind: if the machine you intend to transfer files from is as old as you suggest, it probably only has a 10Mbit card, which would mean a max of 1 MB/s transfer speed, or about 18 minutes per GB.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

data corruption with ftp transfer

Hi again, first of all thanks for you help on my last problem, the problem is solved now. But I have many problem :) This time, I transfered a big file, ~3,5 GByte, with ftp from a Sun machine to a linux box, RedHat 7.3. But the file recieved on the Linux Box is corrupt, with smaller files... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to transfer files from UNIX to my own Hard drive storage?

I will leave the University I am working, but I need to backup and transfer my research data from UNIX system in our department to my own 750G Hard Drive Storage. But I am not familiar with UNIX. How to do this? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishwater00
5 Replies

3. AIX

Erase hard disk data

How to erase/format hard disk data in RS6000 AIX PowerPC model 43 :confused: ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenloong
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer data from one file to another

Hi, I'm relatively new to shell scripting, Ive worked on a few basic scripts and used most of the unix commands in the simplest of situations. But I am now faced with a task that's seems to be beyond me. I have a file with some data in the form of rows and columns : 123 4536 abcd4 677 bbb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inquisitive101
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hard/Transfer errors in disks

Could you please explain us what are these transport/hard errors... when i ran the following command, iostat -E | grep Errors i got the following: sd240 Soft Errors: 37 Hard Errors: 1144 Transport Errors: 0 sd578 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 890 Transport Errors: 0 Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar3350
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What some ideas with sort and get unique data

Hi all, I am writing a script where i can parse through the directory and get common string in two directories i get. The command below SUN_PLATFORM=`$FIND $STREAM_PATH . -depth -name ShareableEntities | $AWK -F"/" '{if($10 ~ /sun5/) print $0}'` gives the following output:- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asirohi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Data Transfer

We have a data on the disk that was copied from HP N4000 running HPUX 11.11 and it was created with vxfs version 4. We need to transfer this data to Sun server, how might this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data transfer to excel

i have two excel sheets with cpu uasge and memory usage in the follwing format: sheet 1: 22,33 sheet 2: 55,66 i need to display in the below format: servername cpu mem ser1 22 33 ser2 55 66 am using UNIX os. can anyone help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
2 Replies

9. Linux

Debian Grub 1.99 alters BIOS (confirmed after formatting hard disk)

Hi, I am a long time Windows user and recently try this Debian Wheezy OS. Burn Debian ISO in Windows environment and then select DVD ROM drive to boot first in BIOS. The first installation of Debian (GNOME) was with multi-boot option that allows booting from hard disk and DVD drive. I then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linuxmun
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Data transfer in Linux

Please let me know which ports are used for data transfer, as per my understaning in Linux below ports are used for data transfer from windows to Linux. ftp 21 sftp 22 (Most secure Port) telnet 23 any other port? wheather we can change the port no 22 to any other port no for a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
10 Replies
UML_SWITCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     UML_SWITCH(1)

NAME
uml_switch -- switch daemon for user-mode Linux SYNOPSIS
uml_switch [-unix control_socket data_socket] [-hub] [-tap tun device] [-compat-v0] [-daemon] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the uml_switch program. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. uml_switch is a daemon for managing a virtual network between user-mode Linux systems, with no connection to the host system's network. It will listen for connections on a pair of UNIX domain sockets, and forward packets between clients which connect to them. OPTIONS
-unix control_socket data_socket Listen on the specified pair of sockets, instead of the defaults. -hub Act like a hub. This means that packets received will be broadcast over all virtual links. The default is to act as a switch, where packets are only sent to the link matching the destination MAC address of the packet. -tap tap device Connect the switch to a dynamically created tap device on the host -compat-v0 Specify control protocol version 0 compatibility. -daemon Run in the background as a daemon. SEE ALSO
linux(1) The UserModeLinux-HOWTO (link to URL http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/UserModeLinux-HOWTO.html) AUTHOR
uml_switch was written by Jeff Dike and others. This manual page was written by Matt Zimmerman mdz@debian.org for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts and no Back-Cover Texts. UML_SWITCH(1)