Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Discovering Network Topology
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Discovering Network Topology Post 302412813 by nzeidat on Tuesday 13th of April 2010 02:40:51 PM
Old 04-13-2010
Lightbulb Discovering Network Topology

Hi all,
I am tasked to write a program that learns all possible paths between each pair of nodes in an internetwork. I am not an expert in the area of IP networking/routing. I have been reading about this the last few days. If you know of examples that are close to what I am trying to do, I would aprciate it if you direct me to whre I could look at them. I have a couple of questions
1) Does the type of alorithm used by IP routing (IP Layer) (whether RIP or OSPF for example) have any direct bearing on what I am trying to do? I.e., if I accomplish the task working on a network that uses RIP, would the utility still work on a network that utilizes OSPF?
2) The first step (sub-task) in this project is to create a kernel task (exposed to the userspace as a system call) that takes as input 2 IP addresses IP_A and IP_B, and returns a buffer that contains all possible paths between these 2 nodes. Any hints on what I should look into to start with or hints on things I "should not" try to do so that I would not wast my time or go the wrong path?

Thanks.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

help with discovering bad passwords question

Is there of a scheme for discovering badly chosen user passwords from a Unix password file? Im not learning anything bad or trying to hack,this a question that was given to me in an information security seminar. Would password cracker be a correct answer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jodders
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

discovering which ports are in use

I am trying to find a way to discover which ports are in use on a UNIX system. I cannot install lsof on it, and it looks like the telnet option is disabled. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dck133
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Topology Discovery

Hello All! New Unix admin here, with a bit of a problem I can't seem to get a straight answer to.. I've been tasked with mapping out the topology (with IPs/Hostnames) of networks...remotely. So, I have SSH access to firewalls, but that's about as far as I can get - how would I go about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiyugro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discovering TOP process on virtual machine

Hello, on my openvz server, i can output load averages of containers: Code: # vzlist -o laverage,ctid -H 0.00/0.00/0.00 130 0.10/0.10/0.10 150 2.26/2.28/2.28 190please which command/script to use so it outputs top 1 or 2 processes on the linux system with 2.26 laverage? i mean, i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies
IRDPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  IRDPD(8)

NAME
irdpd - internet router discovery protocol daemon SYNOPSIS
irdpd [-bsd] [-U udp-device] [-I ip-device] [-o priority-offset] DESCRIPTION
Irdpd looks for routers. This should be a simple task, but many routers are hard to find because they do not implement the router discov- ery protocol. This daemon collects information that routers do send out and makes it available. At startup irdpd sends out several router solicitation broadcasts. A good router should respond to this with a router advertisement. If a router advertisement arrives then no more solicitations are sent. The TCP/IP server has filled its routing table with the info from the advertisement, so it now has at least one router. If the advertisement is sent by a genuine router (the sender is in the table) then the irdpd daemon goes dormant for the time the advert is valid. Routers send new adverts periodically, keeping the daemon silent. Otherwise irdpd will listen for RIP (Router Information Protocol) packets. These packets are sent between routers to exchange routing information. Irdpd uses this information to build a routing table. Every now and then a router advertisement is sent to the local host to give it router information build from the RIP packets. Lastly, if a router solicitation arrives and there is no router around that sends advertisements, then irdpd sends an advertisement to the requestor. Note that this is a direct violation of RFC1256, as no host is supposed to sent those adverts. But alas the world is not always perfect, and those adverts make booting hosts find routers quickly with this help from their brothers. (Of course, they will lose the router soon if they don't have an irdpd daemon themselves.) OPTIONS
-b Broadcast advertisements instead of sending them to the local host only. This may be used to keep (non-Minix) hosts alive on a net without adverts. -s Be silent, do not send advertisements to hosts that ask for them. -d Debug mode, tell where info is coming from and where it is sent. Debugging can also be turned on at runtime by sending signal SIGUSR1 or turned off with SIGUSR2. -o priority-offset Offset used to make the gateway's preferences collected from RIP packets look worse than those found in genuine router adverts. By default -1024. SEE ALSO
set_net_default(8), boot(8), inetd(8), nonamed(8), rarpd(8). BUGS
Under standard Minix this daemon can't listen to two both IRDP and RIP at the same time, so it starts out with IRDP. It switches over to RIP if it can't find a router, or if it threatens to lose its router. It does not switch back. Irdpd may help a host that should not be helped, i.e. if it doesn't have an irdpd daemon with RIP collecting trickery. It will make System Administrators pull out their remaining hair trying to find out why a host can access outside networks for a some time after boot, but goes blind afterwards. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) IRDPD(8)