Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk Post 302412740 by bd_joy on Tuesday 13th of April 2010 11:19:21 AM
Old 04-13-2010
They both work perfectly. Thank you so much! Smilie Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces and carriage returns in 'here documents'

As the title suggests, i am having some trouble figuring out how to pass spaces and carriage returns to a 'here document' ie #!/bin/bash /usr/local/install_script.sh <<SCRIPT yes no <pass carriage retun here> yes no <pass a space and then a carriage return here> exit SCRIPT any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns with sed

How do we delete all carriage returns after a particular string using sed inside a K Shell? e.g. I have a text file named file1 below: $ more file1 Group#=1 User=A Role=a1 Group#=2 User=B Role=a1 Role=b1 Group#=3 User=C Role=b1 I want the carriage returns to be delete on the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing thousand of carriage returns using sed

I need to replace thousands of carriage returns/line breaks in a large xml file and with spaces. I hope to do so with a script, called, for example, "removeCRs." I would invoke this at the command line as ml5003$ sed -f /Users/ml5003/removeCRs oldFile > newFile The script, I presume, would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ml5003
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Carriage returns without loosing EOL

Hello, I have read a few threads on this subject and tried a few things out, but still come up short. There was one good example, then the last reply was something to the effect of 'Use Sed' & 'Read a book'... Well I read a bunch of online tutorials on sed, awk, tr, but still can't get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Majiktom
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii FTP from Linux to Linux adding carriage returns

Hi, I've got an issue with a shell script that FTP's a file from one Linux server to another Linux server. My script runs on a Linux server and creates an output file (from a database call), and then FTP's this file to another Linux server. The problem is that, even though the output file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roysterdoyster
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing carriage returns in text file

Hi I have a text file that looks like this: A B C D E F G H I I want it to be reformatted to A;B;C; D;E;F; G;H;I; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolnfunky
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of carriage returns from a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a file which is having some carriage return in one of the field for which single line is coming in multiple lines. I want to combine all those multiple lines of that field into one line. Eg: Input: Id, Name, Location, Comments, Dept 2, John, US, I am from US. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add a Couple of Carriage returns to text file

I have a directory of over a hundred text files that I'm getting ready to merge with the CAT command. However there is only one space after each file; this makes the output look crowded. I would like to add two, possibly even four carriage returns at the end of each text file to make the final... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tg3793
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TR not removing carriage returns

I have a CSV with carriage returns in place of newlines. I am trying to use tr to remove them, but it isn't working. Academic year,Term,Course name,Period,Last name,Nickname 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Arnold,Adam 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Adams,Jim... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage returns from awk output

I'm on Linux version 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64, using the Ksh shell. I'm working with the input file: John Daggett, 341 King Road, Plymouth MA Alice Ford, 22 East Broadway, Richmond VA Orville Thomas, 11345 Oak Bridge Road, Tulsa OK Terry Kalkas, 402 Lans Road, Beaver Falls PA Eric Adams,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prooney
2 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [-v "string"] [pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2 Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3 Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4 Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)