Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Limiting output file size
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Limiting output file size Post 302412518 by solaris7 on Monday 12th of April 2010 09:40:22 PM
Old 04-12-2010
Limiting output file size

Hi guys,
I want to know if there is a way to check the current size of the file that I output "stuff" to. For example, if I run a command that outputs data (like another shell script or C program) and i do something like
`./a.out &> tempfile.txt` within the script,
I want to be constantly updated about the size of tempfile.txt. I was wondering if there were any shell tools that would allow me to do such a thing, also, if there was a kill command for the ./a.out program that would stop execution after a certain output file size.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file size (volume) limiting

Hi I am trying to create tar files of a whole bunch of files and want to limit them to 50Mb each. I have tried using the -k option but cannot get it to work. Has anyone out there had success creating these? Cheers Ian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigjeff
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limiting the size of syslog log files

I would like to limit the size of syslog log files. Is there a setting I can enter in syslog.conf that does this for me. Ideally I would like something along the lines of a circular buffer of N bytes. P.S. I'm a new user, and this site is awesome. I wish I found it earlier. Thanks, David (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmirza
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare file size from a output file from a script

Hi guys, firstly I'm working on SunOS 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 I've made a script to compress two directory and then send them to an other server via ftp. This is working very well. Inside theis script I decide to log usefull data for troubleshooting in case of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moustik
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limiting home directory size for a group

Is there a way to set the size of the home directory for every single user in a specific group, in more details: I have a group & i will have to add about 20 users to it to be their home directories. i want each of the home directories for this group to be limited to 50 MB Help? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -l output file size

Hi Guys, I'm working on various platforms: Solaris 8 HP Tru64 RH Linux I'm on the HP Tru64 system and I've got to audit a particular directory for large files that are no longer being used. If I do an ls -l I get to see the file size. I'd just like to be clear on what that file size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Summing file size and output

:rolleyes:Hi, I need to find the sum of size of specific files in my directory Say for ex, mydir$ ls -ltr permisssion links user group size date time filename I want to display the sum of size of filenames having pattern "TS55". Note file size in this directory is near 400 MB. mydir$... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limiting User mailbox size in /var/spool

How can one limit the size of user mailboxes in /var/spool/mail? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output after a perl script gives a file with size zero.

Hi, I have a unix shell script which generates a flat file after connecting to Teradata servers to fetch tables and views and also picks up modified unix scripts from the specified paths. Later on the script calls a perl script to assign a value based on the type of object in the flat file which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yohasini
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Limiting size of rsync batch output

Anyone know if there's a way to limit the size of rsync batch output blob? I need each batch to fix on a 64GB USB key. Using syntax like: rsync -av --only-write-batch=/Volumes/usb/batch --stats /Users/dfbadmin/sandbox/ /Users/dfbadmin/archives/ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfbills
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limiting Bash array single line output

#!/bin/bash PH=(AD QD QC 5H 6C 8C 7D JH 3H 3S) echo ${PH} In the above array, how can I print to screen just the first 8 elements of ${PH} and have the last 2 elements print just below the first line starting underneath AD? I need to do this in order to save terminal window spacing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
5 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)