Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting a date
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting a date Post 302412378 by m_kapur83 on Monday 12th of April 2010 11:06:26 AM
Old 04-12-2010
you may try something like this :

sed -e 's/(\d+)\/(\d+)\/(\d+)/$3$2$1/g' | echo $PARAM

It has been assumed here that the date value is retrieved in the parameter PARAM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting date

i need date in the following format December 14, 2005. With date +"%b %d, %Y" command i am getting the following output :- Dec 14, 2005. can anyone pls tell me how to get the full month name (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date formatting

Date format MM/DD/YYYY required is YYYYMMDD, I tried using sed but could not get it any help please. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date formatting

Running bash how do I input the date in the command line like 3/20/90 and get an output formmated like March, 20 1990. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: knc9233
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting date in ksh

hi all, in ksh, how do i format date so it includes hour and minute ?? i am trying the following command : date +%Om/%Od/%Oy%OH:%M but it displays the hour and minute concatenated with the day/month/year e.g 12/10/0814:08 when i want the output to be 12/10/08 14:08 i tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

date formatting

Hi i need to have the date in the format like dd-mon-yyyy my script goes like this #!/usr/bin/bash for f in /space/can /home/lbs/current/externalcdrbackup/L_CDR_Configuration/1/200903122* ; do awk '{sum++;}END{for(i in sum) {print d,h,m,i, sum}}' "d=$(date +'%m-%d-%Y')" "h=$(date +'%H')"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
8 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Date Formatting, etc.

Hi - I'm using GeekTool to customize my desktop in OS X 10.5.8 I'm a complete novice as far as UNIX commands, just know enough to be dangerous. I have a command entered as a Shell to display my events from iCal: This makes my events show something like this: While this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patricksprague
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting date

Hi all Y=`date +'%Y'` M=`date +'%m'` D=`date +'%d'` if && ;then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 30` echo $yesterday else if && ; then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 29` echo $yesterday else if ; then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 27` echo $yesterday else yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D - 1` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
8 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

DATE TIME formatting

can anyone one help me....to make date and time format...to following format for my file Code: DATE TIME DD- MON- YEAR 24 Hours I have a need of format like this 12-Jan-2012 in one column, then time in 24 Hours in another column....please help...me... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Date Formatting help

Hi, How can i store the date + time from the output of the ls command in loop in a variable date1? -rw-rw---- 1 user1 admin 500002 Jan 2 21:24 P002607.cssI then want to convert Jan 2 21:24 to this date format 2014-01-02 21:24:00 and save it in date2 variable. Then i would like to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in formatting the date taken from a variable

Hi, I am having the below data in input file. The file contains multiple such lines. The file is comma delimited. AAA,M,CCCCCC,EE,DD,FF,GG,1187.00000,01-MAY-05 BBB,M,CCCCCC,EE,DD,FF,GG,87.00000,10-MAY-05 I need to create below output file out of it- <tag1>AAA</tag1>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun_CV
3 Replies
DtSearchValidDateString(library call)									     DtSearchValidDateString(library call)

NAME
DtSearchValidDateString -- Validate and convert a user date string SYNOPSIS
#include <Dt/Search.h> DtSrObjdate DtSearchValidDateString( char *date_string); DESCRIPTION
DtSearchValidDateString validates a DtSearch date string, as might have been entered by a user in a free form text field, and converts it into a valid DtSrObjdate. Since an invalid date string format returns a distinctive DtSrObjdate, this function may also be used as a boolean test for string valid- ity. ARGUMENTS
date_string Specifies the date string to be validated and converted. The format for a valid date string is "[yyyy [mm [dd]]", one, two, or three ASCII numeric tokens separated by one or more nonnu- meric chars (whitespace, slashes, etc). The integer yyyy represents a Gregorian calendar year number in the range 1990 to 5995 inclusive. If yyyy is less than 1900, 1900 is added to it. The integer mm is a Gregorian calendar month number in the range 1 to 12 inclusive. The integer dd is a Gregorian calendar day number in the range 1 to 31 inclusive. If only two tokens are in the string, they are presumed to be yyyy and mm, and dd is presumed to be to 1. If only one token is in the string, it is presumed to be yyyy, and both mm and dd are presumed to be 1. RETURN VALUE
DtSearchValidDateString returns zero (a valid DtSrObjdate) if date_string is NULL or empty. It returns a correctly formatted DtSrObjdate on successful parse and conversion. It returns -1 and a message on the MessageList if date_string is invalid. SEE ALSO
DtSrAPI(3), DtSearchQuery(3), dtsrfzkfiles(4), DtSearch(5) DtSearchValidDateString(library call)