Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying and pasting columns from different files Post 302412057 by Arlamos on Sunday 11th of April 2010 10:56:50 AM
Old 04-11-2010
thanks to both of you.

I don't quite understand the AWK syntax so I tried the perl line and aside from a couple of details it does exactly what I need.

I have only few followup questions.

the perl command is including an extra line with the filename at the bottom of the output from each file:

Code:
500.423065 3.526756 3.dat
503.648834 82.129471 3.dat
506.528046 21.388363 3.dat
510.004608 12.926329 3.dat
  3.dat
21.214518 273.515930 4.dat
33.278835 282.828949 4.dat
29.159582 270.977661 4.dat

how do I get rid of the "extra" 3.dat at the bottom?

How can I specify a range of input files to the perl line, so that instead of
Code:
perl -lane '$.>2 && print "$F[3] $F[4] $ARGV"; close ARGV if eof' 1.dat
perl -lane '$.>2 && print "$F[3] $F[4] $ARGV"; close ARGV if eof' 2.dat

i can perhaps do something like
Code:
perl -lane '$.>2 && print "$F[3] $F[4] $ARGV"; close ARGV if eof' 0.dat .. 82.dat

lastly, I'd like to get rid of the ".dat" file handle from the output if that is at all possible without renaming all the files.

thanks again guys, your knowledge and willingness to help has already saved me hours.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble pasting multiple files together!!

Hi, I would like to paste multiple files together into one large file. I have 23 of them and I would like to link them on a common variable without writing all the file names out (like in a simple join). Each has about 28,000 columns, but only 17 rows. So the final product would be a single file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etownbetty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying selected records from two columns to another file

Hey guys I have got a tab-separated file and I want to copy only selected records from two columns at a time satisfying specified condition, and create a new file. My tab separated file is like this ID score ID score ID Score ID score ID score 1_11 0.80 2_23 0.74 2.36 0.78 2_34 0.75 A_34... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacks
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting two files while transposing one of them

hey, I have more a structural problem. I have two input files: 1.inp: 1 2 3 a b c 2 3 4 d f g and the 2.inp 6 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 8 The goal is to get as much output files (with a name 1_2_3.dat) as lines in 1.inp are like this: 6 6 6 a 7 7 7 b 8 8 8 c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting fields from two files into one

i have two files with contents file a 1234,abcf 2345,drft 4444,befr file b tom,3 sam,5 dog,7 i want to print first column of file b and join to file a and get output as below tom,1234,abcf sam,2345,drft dog,4444,befr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying and Pasting columns from one text file to another

I have a tab delimited text file that I want to cut columns 3,4,5 from. Then I want to paste these columns into a space delimited text file between columns 2 and 3. I still want to keep the space delimited format in the final text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pasting files with different number of lines

Hi all, I tried to use the paste command to paste two files with different number of lines. e.g. file1 A 1 B 1 C 2 D 2 file2 A 2 B 3 C 4 D 4 E 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading files and pasting in another text file

Hi all, I have certain task to do, which involves reading the first column of 1.txt file. This is variable "event" 28434710 23456656 3456895 & finding this "event" in some other text file 2.txt, which has information in the following format #Zgamma: 1 run: 160998 event: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with pasting files in filesystem

quick question.. say i have few files in D or E drive.. i want to paste them in Filesystem that is /home/vivek folder... but when i try to do that it shows some error saying "There is not enough space on the destination. Try to remove files to make space." but i think its due to authorization... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting two files in every directory (+100 directories)

Hi, I have around 400 directories each one named as hour_1/ , hour_2/ .....hour_400/ and each of these contains two files, namely: File1: hour_1.txt (in hour_1/) , hour_2.txt (in hour_2/) ....hour_400.txt (in hour_400/) etc... File2: client_list_hour_1.txt (in hour_1/),... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pasting multiple files using awk with delimiter

hi, i want to PASTE two files, with a delimiter in between, using awk and pipe the output to another file. i am able to achive the reqirement using PASTE command. but it has a limitation of length till 511 bytes. Example: ------- File1: ---- sam micheal file2: ---- bosco... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammedsadath
11 Replies
geom(1) 																   geom(1)

NAME
geom - analyzes a molecular geometry input in Cartesian coordinates. DESCRIPTION
The program geom reads a set of Cartesian coordinates and determines from them the bond distances (Bohr and angstrom), bond angles, tor- sional angles, out-of-plane angles (optional), moments of inertia, and rotational constants. FILES REQUIRED
input.dat - Input file and one of the following: geom.dat - geometry file file11.dat - PSI-format geometry/gradient file FILES GENERATED
geom.out - file containing the analysis INPUT OPTIONS
The geom program has the following options: -h Print help information (these options). -aces [filename] Read the input in an ACES output format, with each line consisting of atomic symbol, atomic number, and Cartesian coordinates (in Bohr). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -qchem [filename] Read the input in an QCHEM output format, with each line consisting of the atom number, the atomic symbol, and Cartesian coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -xyz [filename] Read the input in an XYZ output format. The first line contains the number of atoms and the second line is a comment line. Subse- quent lines each contain the atomic symbol and Cartesian X Y and Z coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -oop Print out-of-plane angles, where the angle a-b-c-d is defined as the angle formed by the vector a-d and the plane defined by atoms b, c, and d. DO_OOP = boolean Same as command-line switch -oop described above. ISOTOPES = matrix of reals/strings Used to specify masses to be used in the calculation of the center of mass and rotational constants. One array is provided for each isotopomer to be calculated. The arrays can mix floating point numbers with strings which designate isotopes. If this array is not given and file11.dat is present, then the masses will be obtained by converting the atomic numbers in file11. If masses are not given by ISOTOPES or by file11, then no mass-related quantities will be calculated. -g [filename] Read Cartesian coordinates from a file other than file11.dat. If a filename is not given, the default is geom.dat. The alternative file is assumed to be in a format similar to that of PSI's geom.dat. Since such files do not contain atomic numbers, the moments of inertia and rotational constants are not calculated if this option is used. READ_GEOM = boolean This option in input.dat tells geom to read the geometry from geom.dat in the PSI geom.dat format. -a Print parameters for all pair distances. PRINT_ALL_DIST = boolean Same as -a flag described above. -d distance Only print parameters involving pairs of atoms which are less than distance bohr apart (default value is 4.0 bohr). PRINT_DISTANCE = value Same as -d flag described above. -angstrom The input coordinates are in angstroms, not bohr. ANGSTROM = boolean If TRUE, the input coordinates are in angstroms instead of bohr. The default is FALSE. The following example is for calculating the geometrical information for water with several different isotopes. The geometry is read from geom.dat rather than from file11.dat. geom: ( read_geom = true isotopes = ( (O H H) (O D D) (O18 1.007825 1.007825) ) ) 5 June, 1998 geom(1)