Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Open function of sys/stat.h
Top Forums Programming Open function of sys/stat.h Post 302411997 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 10th of April 2010 04:05:26 PM
Old 04-10-2010
What happens when you run the ls command on a directory you have permissions to see?

You see all of the files. You see files that are locked, too. This is because ls is looking at file metadata, not the data in the file itself. So it does not open the file, you can think of it as opening the directory instead.

stat() works the same way, it works against file metadata, so it does not matter if another process has the file locked, stat() will work anyway. When you stat a file you are checking it's existence.

More to the point:access() is the system call (unistd.h> that you should use to check file existence and your permissions to it.

Is this what you are asking?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

function to test if file is open

I need to write a function that will work in sh/ksh shell that will test to see if a file has already been opened for writting by another user has anyone written something like this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnsonbryce
3 Replies

2. Programming

Hi errno in sys/stat.h

How should I use errno in a c program and what info does it have . I am working with directories and files. So can any one tell me How to access errno?I am using the stat() function on \etc directory and I am alble to access only the half of the directories.I am not able to access other half and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
6 Replies

3. Programming

Q with stat()

From reading various articles on the net, I know stat() is used on files to get things like permissions, sizes etc... As a folder is a special type of file in Unix, I assumed that stat() could work on it as well as any general file. However, from running my program, perror() reported that the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Sybase help: Open client, bcp function

To begin: I use Linux The Problem: I need bcp functionality for scripts. Perl modules, such as Sybase:xfer, require ctlib which comes with Sybase Open Client. Talking with Sybase sales reps is an exercise in futility and hate. They know absolutely nothing about their own products and will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
0 Replies

5. Programming

could not open source file "sys/elf_386.h"

Hello All, i am porting my application from SunSolaris to Linux (RHEL4). When i compile my c/c++ code i am getting the following errors. 1. catastrophic error: could not open source file "sys/elf_386.h" #include <sys/elf_386.h> 2. catastrophic error: could not open source file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsaravanan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help !! perl open function

Help Please perl Gurus, I am trying to add ungrouped passengers in a group and I creating a script however it fails on first step only I tried all the options it returns following error. syntax error at junki line 4, near "open " Execution of junki aborted due to compilation errors. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stat value changes

Die to what all operations, the "Modify" and "Change" values of stat output changes for a file. I found, during editing a file, Change and Modify alters. When chmod'ing Change alters, while Modify doesnot alters. Is there more situations where these changes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

8. Programming

Function open() sets errno

I am opening a text file using open() system call in O_RDONLY mode. open() returns me a valid handler but also sets errno to 13 i.e. EACCES(Permission denied). Question is when open() is returning a valid handler then why does it sets the errno? Should not errno be set only in case of error... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open file function

Hello all, just a quick little part of code i'm writing to check if the file i'm writing too in my automatic process is not being written too manually. #!/bin/bash FUSER=$(/sbin/fuser -s /toto.tmp >/dev/null 2>&1) LSOF=$(/usr/sbin/lsof | grep -q "toto.tmp") PGREP=$(pgrep -f "toto.tmp" >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
6 Replies

10. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
Tcl_Access(3)						      Tcl Library Procedures						     Tcl_Access(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Access, Tcl_Stat - check file permissions and other attributes SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_Access(path, mode) int Tcl_Stat(path, statPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *path (in) Native name of the file to check the attributes of. int mode (in) Mask consisting of one or more of R_OK, W_OK, X_OK and F_OK. R_OK, W_OK and X_OK request checking whether the file exists and has read, write and execute permissions, respectively. F_OK just requests checking for the existence of the file. struct stat *statPtr (out) The structure that contains the result. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
As of Tcl 8.4, the object-based APIs Tcl_FSAccess and Tcl_FSStat should be used in preference to Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat, wherever possi- ble. There are two reasons for calling Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat rather than calling system level functions access and stat directly. First, the Windows implementation of both functions fixes some bugs in the system level calls. Second, both Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat (as well as Tcl_OpenFileChannelProc) hook into a linked list of functions. This allows the possibility to reroute file access to alternative media or access methods. Tcl_Access checks whether the process would be allowed to read, write or test for existence of the file (or other file system object) whose name is pathname. If pathname is a symbolic link on Unix, then permissions of the file referred by this symbolic link are tested. On success (all requested permissions granted), zero is returned. On error (at least one bit in mode asked for a permission that is denied, or some other error occurred), -1 is returned. Tcl_Stat fills the stat structure statPtr with information about the specified file. You do not need any access rights to the file to get this information but you need search rights to all directories named in the path leading to the file. The stat structure includes info regarding device, inode (always 0 on Windows), privilege mode, nlink (always 1 on Windows), user id (always 0 on Windows), group id (always 0 on Windows), rdev (same as device on Windows), size, last access time, last modification time, and creation time. If path exists, Tcl_Stat returns 0 and the stat structure is filled with data. Otherwise, -1 is returned, and no stat info is given. KEYWORDS
stat, access Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Access(3)