Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find in Files (special characters) Post 302411943 by kalik on Saturday 10th of April 2010 06:04:10 AM
Old 04-10-2010
It works just fine. Thank you a lot. You, sir, are a genius! I salute you, Jim!
I consider the topic fulfilled.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to find special characters??

By more, vi, cat etc commands special characters (few control characters) are not identified. Is there any way to find out those? Thanks Sumit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitc
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with find and replace w/string containing special characters

Can I get some help on this please, I have looked at the many post with similar questions and have tried the solutions and they are not working for my scenario which is: I have a text file (myfile) that contains b_log=$g_log/FILENAME.log echo "Begin processing file FILENAME " >> $b_log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace special characters in a file

HI All I need a shell script ehich removes all special characters from file and converts the file to UTF-* format Specail characters to be removed must be configurable. strIllegal = @"?/><,:;""'{|\\+=-)(*&^%$#@!~`"; Please help me in getting this script as my scripting skilla are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujithchandra
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters in multiple files - perl

I have 100 files, where i want to search a set of strings and make the replacement by other strings In the first case I want to include a parameter in the name of a file LOG_DCT = $ LOG_DIR/DCT_GERAL_"$DATAINI".log replace to : LOG_DCT = $ LOG_DIR / DCT_GERAL_ $ 1_ "$ DATAINI". log I did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RMSoares
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files with special characters - how to remove

Hi, I have a directory that has a file which contained special characters in the filename. Can someone please advise how to remove the file, preferably with a rm -i ? Thanks in advance. Listing is as below: {oracle}> ls -1b bplog.bkup.001 bplog.bkup.002 bplog.bkup.003 bplog.bkup.004... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files and directories with special characters

Hello guys, I was looking for a shell script that removes all the special characters from the files and the subdirectories recursively. I could not locate it any more. Dose any body have a similar script that dose that? Thanks for the help. AV (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find text enclosed between special characters

Hi, I'm trying to find all DISTINCT words having _mr in the line and ENCLOSED in '/'. For eg below is the text in a file.. /database/new_mr254/1 /database/rawdb/views/new_mr254/1 /database/project/rawdb/tables/new_mr232/1 /database/project/rawdb/views/new_mr253/1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: northwest
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOw to find special characters

I have flat file which has data like this glid¿as_liste¿025175456 How can I print these lines into new file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out special characters from xml file

Hi....I have a xml file which is having lots of special characters which I need to find out and put the distinct list of those into a text file. The list of special characters is not specific, it can be anything at different point of time. Can anyone help me to find out the same and list out? ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krishanu Saha
10 Replies
GIT-CHERRY(1)							    Git Manual							     GIT-CHERRY(1)

NAME
git-cherry - Find commits yet to be applied to upstream SYNOPSIS
git cherry [-v] [<upstream> [<head> [<limit>]]] DESCRIPTION
Determine whether there are commits in <head>..<upstream> that are equivalent to those in the range <limit>..<head>. The equivalence test is based on the diff, after removing whitespace and line numbers. git-cherry therefore detects when commits have been "copied" by means of git-cherry-pick(1), git-am(1) or git-rebase(1). Outputs the SHA1 of every commit in <limit>..<head>, prefixed with - for commits that have an equivalent in <upstream>, and + for commits that do not. OPTIONS
-v Show the commit subjects next to the SHA1s. <upstream> Upstream branch to search for equivalent commits. Defaults to the upstream branch of HEAD. <head> Working branch; defaults to HEAD. <limit> Do not report commits up to (and including) limit. EXAMPLES
Patch workflows git-cherry is frequently used in patch-based workflows (see gitworkflows(7)) to determine if a series of patches has been applied by the upstream maintainer. In such a workflow you might create and send a topic branch like this: $ git checkout -b topic origin/master # work and create some commits $ git format-patch origin/master $ git send-email ... 00* Later, you can see whether your changes have been applied by saying (still on topic): $ git fetch # update your notion of origin/master $ git cherry -v Concrete example In a situation where topic consisted of three commits, and the maintainer applied two of them, the situation might look like: $ git log --graph --oneline --decorate --boundary origin/master...topic * 7654321 (origin/master) upstream tip commit [... snip some other commits ...] * cccc111 cherry-pick of C * aaaa111 cherry-pick of A [... snip a lot more that has happened ...] | * cccc000 (topic) commit C | * bbbb000 commit B | * aaaa000 commit A |/ o 1234567 branch point In such cases, git-cherry shows a concise summary of what has yet to be applied: $ git cherry origin/master topic - cccc000... commit C + bbbb000... commit B - aaaa000... commit A Here, we see that the commits A and C (marked with -) can be dropped from your topic branch when you rebase it on top of origin/master, while the commit B (marked with +) still needs to be kept so that it will be sent to be applied to origin/master. Using a limit The optional <limit> is useful in cases where your topic is based on other work that is not in upstream. Expanding on the previous example, this might look like: $ git log --graph --oneline --decorate --boundary origin/master...topic * 7654321 (origin/master) upstream tip commit [... snip some other commits ...] * cccc111 cherry-pick of C * aaaa111 cherry-pick of A [... snip a lot more that has happened ...] | * cccc000 (topic) commit C | * bbbb000 commit B | * aaaa000 commit A | * 0000fff (base) unpublished stuff F [... snip ...] | * 0000aaa unpublished stuff A |/ o 1234567 merge-base between upstream and topic By specifying base as the limit, you can avoid listing commits between base and topic: $ git cherry origin/master topic base - cccc000... commit C + bbbb000... commit B - aaaa000... commit A SEE ALSO
git-patch-id(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-CHERRY(1)