Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: who, w and company
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting who, w and company Post 302411924 by jim mcnamara on Friday 9th of April 2010 09:48:56 PM
Old 04-09-2010
The wtmpx (utmpx is also the file on some systems) file has login history. You can use last or a custom written c tool to find what you need.
Code:
last -100 joe_user

These files keep data from the last reboot on. Any user who logs in is usually recorded.

man wtmpx
man last
and maybe man utmpx

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

So, like, I signed on with a new hosting company...

... and there was absolutely nothing installed except fedora and ssh. I used yum to install vsftp and httpd, both start and ps shows they're running, and yet I can't connect with either of them. Where on earth or in redhat do I begin looking to unravel this one? I've overseen a server before but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

What Company Makes Your Mobile Phone?

Without getting into the exact models (which change all the time anyway), who makes your (primary) mobile phone? (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
35 Replies

3. IP Networking

Bypassing My Company Firewall!

Hi! My organization has put a Firewall which eat up a lot of important data access. So I came to know about SSH Tunneling to bypass the Firewall. I will have to setup a free access SSH server to tunnel data access through PUTTY or OpenSSH. The problem is that I don't know about any free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

mail not working with company id

Hi, I have a fresh new installation of red hat linux. I am trying to send an email from the "mail" utility from inside my Linux box to my company id "xxx@company.com". We are using microsoft exchange server online version to host our company's email. I am able to send emails to gmail and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert ip to DSL provider company name?

Hello, I am not sure this question is totally related to scripting. What I want to do is to match ip addresses with DSL provider company. It should extract ip addresses from log file (which is no problem) and ask the script to search each ip in regional internet registries source webpage.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies
utmpx(4)							   File Formats 							  utmpx(4)

NAME
utmpx, wtmpx - utmpx and wtmpx database entry formats SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> /var/adm/utmpx /var/adm/wtmpx DESCRIPTION
The utmpx and wtmpx files are extended database files that have superseded the obsolete utmp and wtmp database files. The utmpx database contains user access and accounting information for commands such as who(1), write(1), and login(1). The wtmpx database contains the history of user access and accounting information for the utmpx database. USAGE
Applications should not access these databases directly, but should use the functions described on the getutxent(3C) manual page to inter- act with the utmpx and wtmpx databases to ensure that they are maintained consistently. FILES
/var/adm/utmpx user access and adminstration information /var/adm/wtmpx history of user access and adminstrative information SEE ALSO
getutxent(3C), wait(3C), wait.h(3HEAD) SunOS 5.11 6 Mar 2008 utmpx(4)