Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace without changing ownership Post 302411896 by alister on Friday 9th of April 2010 05:00:58 PM
Old 04-09-2010
I'm assuming you are running the command as a user other than the user the webserver runs as. gnu sed's -i extension does not edit files in place (--in-place is a misnomer, in my opinion); it creates a temp file, deletes the original file, then renames the temp to the name of the original. The result is a new file (possibly with a different owner, if the command was not run by the original owner or the superuser (which can chown to preserve ownership)).

Alister

Last edited by alister; 04-10-2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Deleted clarification after testing with gnu sed 4.1.5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Diectory ownership ...changing

Help...... I am running a 420R w/sol 8 and I am trying to install sun's monitoring software srs netconnect. I have installed it on 6 other boxes with no problem. Installation failed with the message: ## Installing part 1 of 1. /etc/opt/SUNWsrspx/CustomerCert.pem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy directory without changing ownership setting

hi currently i am migrating some directories over to a new server. is there any command (rcp or ftp or anything) for me to use without changing the ownership and permission of the directory? i am copying some directories from unix machine to linux machine. what is the exact command? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File group ownership changing automatically

Hi everyone, Need help with an issue. The group ownership of files on my Solaris system is getting changed automatically. Could someone tell me the reason why? And how could I correct it? One more info- everytime the ownership changes, it changes to "x". Thanks :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: top_gun
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

changing wtmp ownership and permission

Hi, I am using redhat AS 3. Recently, I was asked to implement a security control on the OS: to change ownership of /var/log/wtmp to root:sys and permission to 600. However, when I made the change and reboot the machine, everything was reverted. How come? Please help. The following is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: voa2mp3
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing ownership?

how would i change ownership of file1 so the user NATE gets ownership of the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding changing ownership and group

i am able to change the mode using chmod and able to change permission. but i am not able to change group and ownership. getting as invalid can any one help me regarding this . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing ownership of a directory, subdirectory and files as same as in another server

accidentally i have changed ownership of a directory,subdirectory and files wil below command. I want to the change ownership back as same as in same directory on another server. How can i do it? chown -R user:group /u01 is there any simple script? it is really an urgent need.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
2 Replies

10. Solaris

User's Home directory ownership is changing Automatically

Hi , on my Solaris 10 machine user's home directory ownership is being changed automatically to their UID. can any one please tell me whats the reason behind it . users are there in /etc/passwd file . /etc/shadow file is also there along with nssswitch.conf file and there is no changes made to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: usernew
5 Replies
XARGS(1L)																 XARGS(1L)

NAME
xargs - build and execute command lines from standard input SYNOPSIS
xargs [-0prtx] [-e[eof-str]] [-i[replace-str]] [-l[max-lines]] [-n max-args] [-s max-chars] [-P max-procs] [--null] [--eof[=eof-str]] [--replace[=replace-str]] [--max-lines[=max-lines]] [--interactive] [--max-chars=max-chars] [--verbose] [--exit] [--max-procs=max-procs] [--max-args=max-args] [--no-run-if-empty] [--version] [--help] [command [initial-arguments]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of xargs. xargs reads arguments from the standard input, delimited by blanks (which can be pro- tected with double or single quotes or a backslash) or newlines, and executes the command (default is /bin/echo) one or more times with any initial-arguments followed by arguments read from standard input. Blank lines on the standard input are ignored. xargs exits with the following status: 0 if it succeeds 123 if any invocation of the command exited with status 1-125 124 if the command exited with status 255 125 if the command is killed by a signal 126 if the command cannot be run 127 if the command is not found 1 if some other error occurred. OPTIONS --null, -0 Input filenames are terminated by a null character instead of by whitespace, and the quotes and backslash are not special (every character is taken literally). Disables the end of file string, which is treated like any other argument. Useful when arguments might contain white space, quote marks, or backslashes. The GNU find -print0 option produces input suitable for this mode. --eof[=eof-str], -e[eof-str] Set the end of file string to eof-str. If the end of file string occurs as a line of input, the rest of the input is ignored. If eof-str is omitted, there is no end of file string. If this option is not given, the end of file string defaults to "_". --help Print a summary of the options to xargs and exit. --replace[=replace-str], -i[replace-str] Replace occurences of replace-str in the initial arguments with names read from standard input. Also, unquoted blanks do not termi- nate arguments. If replace-str is omitted, it defaults to "{}" (like for `find -exec'). Implies -x and -l 1. --max-lines[=max-lines], -l[max-lines] Use at most max-lines nonblank input lines per command line; max-lines defaults to 1 if omitted. Trailing blanks cause an input line to be logically continued on the next input line. Implies -x. --max-args=max-args, -n max-args Use at most max-args arguments per command line. Fewer than max-args arguments will be used if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded, unless the -x option is given, in which case xargs will exit. --interactive, -p Prompt the user about whether to run each command line and read a line from the terminal. Only run the command line if the response starts with `y' or `Y'. Implies -t. --no-run-if-empty, -r If the standard input does not contain any nonblanks, do not run the command. Normally, the command is run once even if there is no input. --max-chars=max-chars, -s max-chars Use at most max-chars characters per command line, including the command and initial arguments and the terminating nulls at the ends of the argument strings. The default is as large as possible, up to 20k characters. --verbose, -t Print the command line on the standard error output before executing it. --version Print the version number of xargs and exit. --exit, -x Exit if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded. --max-procs=max-procs, -P max-procs Run up to max-procs processes at a time; the default is 1. If max-procs is 0, xargs will run as many processes as possible at a time. Use the -n option with -P; otherwise chances are that only one exec will be done. SEE ALSO
find(1L), locate(1L), locatedb(5L), updatedb(1) Finding Files (on-line in Info, or printed) XARGS(1L)