Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace without changing ownership Post 302411896 by alister on Friday 9th of April 2010 05:00:58 PM
Old 04-09-2010
I'm assuming you are running the command as a user other than the user the webserver runs as. gnu sed's -i extension does not edit files in place (--in-place is a misnomer, in my opinion); it creates a temp file, deletes the original file, then renames the temp to the name of the original. The result is a new file (possibly with a different owner, if the command was not run by the original owner or the superuser (which can chown to preserve ownership)).

Alister

Last edited by alister; 04-10-2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Deleted clarification after testing with gnu sed 4.1.5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Diectory ownership ...changing

Help...... I am running a 420R w/sol 8 and I am trying to install sun's monitoring software srs netconnect. I have installed it on 6 other boxes with no problem. Installation failed with the message: ## Installing part 1 of 1. /etc/opt/SUNWsrspx/CustomerCert.pem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy directory without changing ownership setting

hi currently i am migrating some directories over to a new server. is there any command (rcp or ftp or anything) for me to use without changing the ownership and permission of the directory? i am copying some directories from unix machine to linux machine. what is the exact command? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File group ownership changing automatically

Hi everyone, Need help with an issue. The group ownership of files on my Solaris system is getting changed automatically. Could someone tell me the reason why? And how could I correct it? One more info- everytime the ownership changes, it changes to "x". Thanks :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: top_gun
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

changing wtmp ownership and permission

Hi, I am using redhat AS 3. Recently, I was asked to implement a security control on the OS: to change ownership of /var/log/wtmp to root:sys and permission to 600. However, when I made the change and reboot the machine, everything was reverted. How come? Please help. The following is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: voa2mp3
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing ownership?

how would i change ownership of file1 so the user NATE gets ownership of the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding changing ownership and group

i am able to change the mode using chmod and able to change permission. but i am not able to change group and ownership. getting as invalid can any one help me regarding this . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing ownership of a directory, subdirectory and files as same as in another server

accidentally i have changed ownership of a directory,subdirectory and files wil below command. I want to the change ownership back as same as in same directory on another server. How can i do it? chown -R user:group /u01 is there any simple script? it is really an urgent need.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
2 Replies

10. Solaris

User's Home directory ownership is changing Automatically

Hi , on my Solaris 10 machine user's home directory ownership is being changed automatically to their UID. can any one please tell me whats the reason behind it . users are there in /etc/passwd file . /etc/shadow file is also there along with nssswitch.conf file and there is no changes made to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: usernew
5 Replies
chown(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						 chown(1B)

NAME
chown - change owner SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/chown [-fR] owner[.group] filename... DESCRIPTION
chown changes the owner of the filenames to owner. The owner can be either a decimal user ID (UID) or a login name found in the password file. An optional group can also be specified. The group can be either a decimal group ID (GID) or a group name found in the GID file. In the default case, only the super-user of the machine where the file is physically located can change the owner. The system configura- tion option {_POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED} and the privileges PRIV_FILE_CHOWN and PRIV_FILE_CHOWN_SELF also affect who can change the ownership of a file. See chown(2) and privileges(5). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f Do not report errors. -R Recursively descend into directories setting the ownership of all files in each directory encountered. When symbolic links are encountered, their ownership is changed, but they are not traversed. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of chown when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). FILES
/etc/passwd Password file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), chown(2), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), largefile(5), privileges(5) SunOS 5.11 21 Jun 2004 chown(1B)