Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting CHANGING THE TEXT INSIDE A FILE Post 302411852 by anbu23 on Friday 9th of April 2010 03:00:10 PM
Old 04-09-2010
Code:
sed "s/./&\\
/g;s/.$//" file > newfile

Code:
awk ' { gsub(".","&\n");sub(".$","") } 1 ' file > newfile

Last edited by anbu23; 04-09-2010 at 04:05 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding text inside file

Hi everyone I have a small problem i cant find a soloution to... I'm using digital unix and have to find out all the files which have a certain string inside them and i dont know how to do it. *This search is done as root. *All files from '/' to the last directory should be searched for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dindan100
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the text file format

Hi, I have a shell script to unload all the empname who have salary >50000 from the emp table into a text file(empname.txt) . m_db unload "$dbc_file" -column_delimiter ',' -select "SELECT empname FROM emp where salary > 50000" >> empname.txt Now my text file have data in the following format ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern replace inside text file using sed

Hi, I have a situation where I want to replace some occurrences of ".jsp" into ".html" inside a text file. For Example: If a pattern found like <a href="http://www.mysite.com/mypage.jsp"> it should be retained. But if a pattern found like <a href="../mypage.jsp"> it should be changed to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing a text file

I have a file as below and want to change it using awk I want to find the entries such as Iteration No.788 Best Value 0.00408152 Next-Worst Value 0.00522935 Worst Value 0.00523487 and change it to Iteration No.788 788. Best Value = 0.00408152 788. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last modified time of the folder is changing when I view the file inside the directory

Hi., Last modified time of the folder is changing when I view the file inside the directory. Here is the test on sample directory. I believe that ls -l commands gives the time detail w.r.t last modified time. Pl. suggest. bash-3.2$ mkdir test bash-3.2$ cd test bash-3.2$ touch myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

copy files inside a text file

Hi Guys , I am new to this and Hi to all ,Need your help I am trying to copy Files which are inside file.txt The files inside file.txt are inthe below order file1.log file2.log file3.log ....... I want to copy these files to an output Directory , Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hc17972
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

copy files inside a text file

Hi Guys , I am new to this and Hi to all ,Need your help I am trying to copy Files which are inside file.txt The files inside file.txt are inthe below order file1.log file2.log file3.log ....... I want to copy these files to an output Directory , Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hc17972
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing text in multiple files, but with different text for each file

Hello, I have a situation where I want to change a line of text in multiple files, but the problem is that I want to change the text to something unique for each file. For example, let's say I have five files named bob.txt, joe.txt, john.txt, tom.txt, and zach.txt. Each of these files has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with changing text file layout

Hi there, I am with this one column input text file to change layout, please help. Thanks. I have awk, sed. $ cat input Median 1.0 2.3 3.0 Median 35.0 26.3 45.7 10.1 63.1 Median 1.2 2.3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwzkevin
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and paste text inside a xml file

I have a really big XML file. I need copy the value of one tag inside another one tag. I try to publish one example. <channel update="i" site="merge-xmltv" site_id="" xmltv_id="Rai 1">Rai 1</channel> <channel update="i" site="merge-xmltv" site_id="" xmltv_id="Rai 1 +2HD">Rai 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)