Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat how do i check i/o in server? Post 302411775 by Artur Zaworski on Friday 9th of April 2010 11:09:04 AM
Old 04-09-2010
Native command which can be used for it for RedHat is vmstat.

It will provide you enough details about what's going on with your system (help to define performance problems as well). However output won't be as 'nice' as one from top with % numbers and it's not as specialized as iostat

I strongly advice to read man page - let us know if you have any questions about it.

Going back to iostat - it's very powerful tool.
As you are using RAID - you need to understand difference between naming conventions. Eg:
cciss/c0d0p1 should be extended to /dev/cciss/c0d0p1

cX == controler number
dX == disk number
pX == partition number

You can read about it more eg. here: HP Smart Array CCISS driver

On top of it you are using LVM. To get more information about your devices you can use commands like:
vgdisplay (you will see volume groups)
lvdisplay (you will see logical volumes)
pvdisplay (you will see phisical volumes - which you probably want to get at this moment).

Regards,
-Artur.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

check ports on server

Hi All, I've been using this to verify if ports is open on a server. For example I would like to check port 5887, "telnet ip.of.server 5887" using on dos. If there's response on it then I can say it's open, if not then it's close. Is that assumption accurate? Thanks for any comments you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Time/Date on a server

I have two servers which are not in sync. I need to write a script that checks the time on the corresponding server and another script to call the above script on both the servers simulataneously to check if there is a time difference. Can anyone provide me with such scripts as I am new to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravneet123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the size of the file on different server

Hello, I have two servers A and B, My script is written on Server A. I am picking up the file say "abc.txt" from Server B using sftp command and putting it in a directory at Server A. Now the catch is, If the file size of "abc.txt" is greater thn the available size on Server A, thn an email... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashant Jain
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if the server is on a Cluster

Hi im connecting to a datacenter remotely. is there a command to know if the server is on a cluster? i want to know the command to use in these OS(hp-ux,solaris,linux) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinslick25
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for file in another server

Hi, I want to check for existence of a file in another server. Is it possible to use if loop and check for the file existence after connecting via ftp. After connecting via ftp in the script if I use if command it is throwing an error saying invalid command.if command is also not there in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check if a remote server is up

I need to check if a remote server is up before i send a file to it through FTP. I thought of using "ping" command to check it. But the problem is, my script needs to run from 2 different servers, one is Solaris and other is HP-UX. And ping works in different way in each of them when I do -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vidhyaprakash
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Server Check

Hi, Is there a way to check linux server is up or not from my desktop (windows 7)? from the command prompt or powershell script. I have about 100 servers which I have to check daily..right now, i ssh to terminal with my login to verify. Thanks, vasu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myguess21
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check fastest server and using it

hello we have upload some data in 15 servers in usa asia ... i consider to add new feature , script can detect download speed between localhost and destination and use fastest server, i have cut this part from a script which have this feature, download a xx MB file from all its source and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to check LDEV in server?

Hi , There is one task to provide 50 GB space to the disk group ORABACK and Storage team have confirmed saying allocated below LDEV with 50 GB 03:90. How to check LDEV with 50 GB is created in server ?Could you please guide me ? $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check server-name and come out

Hello, I am not efficient in script, so need some help to create a small script. I have file, which have list of all IPs. All those IPs can be connected from a gateway server with "sudo ssh 10.63.xx.xx". We do not have reverse lookup for IPs, so I want script to login to each server, return... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - set or retrieve a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [argument...] taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its pid, or to launch a new command with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks may be specified in hexadecimal (with or without a leading "0x"), or as a CPU list with the --cpu-list option. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0, 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1, 0xFFFFFFFF is processors #0 through #31, 32 is processors #1, #4, and #5, --cpu-list 0-2,6 is processors #0, #1, #2, and #6. When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -c, --cpu-list Interpret mask as numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. Numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For example: 0,5,8-11. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user can change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to the same user. A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to another user. A user can retrieve the affinity mask of any process. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_getaffinity(2), sched_setaffinity(2) See sched(7) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2014 TASKSET(1)