Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: combine -A and -v in grep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers combine -A and -v in grep Post 302411143 by drl on Wednesday 7th of April 2010 07:17:24 PM
Old 04-07-2010
Hi.

A nonstandard command, cgrep, often works where grep does not:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1	Demonstrate cgrep.
# http://www.bell-labs.com/project/wwexptools/cgrep/
# http://sourceforge.net/projects/cgrep/

# Test run as external user.
# export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
# Infrastructure details, environment, commands for forum posts. 
set +o nounset
LC_ALL=C ; LANG=C ; export LC_ALL LANG
echo ; echo "Environment: LC_ALL = $LC_ALL, LANG = $LANG"
echo "(Versions displayed with local utility \"version\")"
c=$( ps | grep $$ | awk '{print $NF}' )
version >/dev/null 2>&1 && s=$(_eat $0 $1) || s=""
[ "$c" = "$s" ] && p="$s" || p="$c"
version >/dev/null 2>&1 && version "=o" $p specimen grep cgrep
set -o nounset
echo

FILE=${1-data1}

# Sample file, with head & tail as a last resort.
specimen $FILE \
|| { echo "(Using head/tail)" ; head -5 $FILE ; echo " --" ; tail -5 $FILE; }

echo
echo " Results, expect failure:"
grep -A1 -v Z $FILE

echo
echo " Results, cgrep:"
cgrep -D -V  +1 Z $FILE

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 
GNU bash 3.2.39
specimen (local) 1.15
GNU grep 2.5.3
cgrep - (local: ~/executable/cgrep May 29 2009 )

Whole: 5:0:5 of 10 lines in file "data1"
A 
Z 
F
Z
R 

Results, expect failure:
A 
Z 
F
Z
R 

Results, cgrep:
A 
F
R 

You will need to download and compile the program. I did that a few years ago in 32-bit mode with success. Recently I used 64-bit mode, also successfully.

The documentation is longish, but includes examples. The options are complex.

I used the code from the Bell Labs site, but connections recently have been rejected. I know that the sourceforge version compiles, but I have not tested it.

Good luck ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or grep or perl combine two lines

how do i search for the phrase "expected" on line one and "received" on line two. (there is a newline in between the two) I would like to know if/how this can be done in perl and/or grep and/or sed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: artjaniger
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, cut or combine?

I am a beginner at shell scripting, actually i am working on my first script right now. Anyway i have searched the world how to grep two letters from each word (it will always just be two words). For example: Example Blablabla I want my script to cut out Ex (from the first word) and Bl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep this no. 0100025144 and combine

<CRMSUB:MSIN=0100025144,BSNBC=TELEPHON-9814072360-TS11&TS21&TS22,NDC=9814 <ENTROPRSERV:MSIN=0100025144,OPRSERV=UCSI,UCSI=771-919814047117&775-919814047117; <ENTRGCSERV:MSIN=0100025144,GCSERV=CALLWAIT-PROV&CALLHOLD&CLIP&HOTBILL&NATSS05,CLIPOVR=NO;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine two grep statements

Hi I am wondering is it possible to combine two greps together I have two greps. grep "^,, *\." file (grep the line which has a '.' in the third column) grep "=" file (grep the line which has = anywhere) How to put them together so that if the content of the file that match either... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger66
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine

Hi I am having text file like this 001|ramu|hno221|>< sheshadripuram|delhi|560061>< 002|krishna|hno225|>< newdelhimain|delhi|560061>< i want to combine every two lines as single...line... i.e 001|ramu|hno221|sheshadripuram|delhi|560061 can u pls help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine two lists From Multiple Grep commands.

I'm working with a file with an xml structure. I'd like to parse it down to just the bits i want. Here is and example of the file <message id="96352877" method="status"> <date rfc="Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:13:15 -0600" unix="1299967995" /> <services> <service id="facebook"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erulisseuiin
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine awk Or Grep Input

grep -ia '^Windows Installer' Galant01.txt Galant02.txt | awk -F '\t' '{print substr($1,1,index($1,":")) $4 "<br>"}' ; The output produces: Galant01.txt:Manual<br> Galant02.txt:Manual<br> It will be good to show instead: The output produces: Galant01.txt,Galant02.txt:Manual<br> The idea... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can I combine below mentioned grep commands using OR (when searching strings having spaces)

Command 1: $script | grep 'Write to ECC( SSID=MARGIN)' Command 2: $script | grep 'is not greater than existing logical processing' The above commands run my script and search the mentioned strings but I do not want to run my script twice. It is increasing run time. Can someone tell me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)