Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Invoke a shell script on new email in inbox Post 302411097 by rugdog on Wednesday 7th of April 2010 03:04:10 PM
Old 04-07-2010
actually .forward can pipe the message through a program, you just need to:

1. copy the script file in /etc/smrsh
2. edit the .forward file to have:

| /etc/smrsh/yourscript.sh

notice the pipe at the begining of the line

this will pipe each mail message to the program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract email from inbox

i want to extract the field from, subject and email body part from an inbox into a csv file under redhat 7.x. prefer perl script or any unix utilities. please help. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gxiong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to invoke shell script

hi everybody, i learning unix now only.Can u pls guide me in invoking a shell script.Actually i need to know how to write the command for invoking the shell script.Suppose the shell file name is count , then how i will write the command. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopa_mani
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script If I type in the alias in the command line, it runs If I insert that same alias into my shell script and run the shell script, the alias is not invoked. Help please. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techshots
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to invoke a shell script from xml file.

hi all, forgive me if this question is not relevant to this section. i have a shell file that will automatically deploy the files that are necessary and will compile them. i need to automate this management process through cruise control, for this i need to know whether it is possible for me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to invoke db startup/shutdown

Hi all, I have a shell script which does db shutdown ..the script snippet which does this is as follows: function call_sql_plus { ${SQLPLUS:-sqlplus} -s /nolog <<EOF EXIT; EOF if then echo "Error occurred while calling sqlplus " ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i invoke SU command in shell script

Hi All , i am trying to switch user (from unix1 to unix 2 ) The user will give me the input and also the password . also how can i login into with the password . itried several attempts . no luck Can any one help on this !!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to invoke options automatically

i have a script which has 2 options. a b And a has 6 sub options. i want to write a script which will call the parent script and give options automatically. examle: linasplg11:/opt/ss/kk/01.00/bin # startup.sh /opt/ss/rdm/01.00 Please select the component to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to get the date and time of mail which we get into our inbox using shell script?

Hello All, I need a script which extarct the date and time of the mail which is there in our inbox... I can export the mail copy into desktop making it as a textfile or something like that.. So is there anyway to get the date and time from that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script of invoke an email program

Is it possible that a shell script invokes a windows mailing application like Lotus Notes and creates a mail and sends it ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while Invoke Shell Script function from Java Program

Hi, I have create a Shell Script, with one function. I want to call the script file in Java Program. It working fine. but the problem is the function in the Shell Script is not executed. Please suggest me, Regards, Nanthagopal A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
2 Replies
io_pipe(3)						     Library Functions Manual							io_pipe(3)

NAME
io_pipe - create a Unix pipe SYNTAX
#include <io.h> int io_pipe(int64 pfd[2]); DESCRIPTION
io_pipe creates a new UNIX ``pipe.'' The pipe can receive data and provide data; any bytes written to the pipe can then be read from the pipe in the same order. A pipe is typically stored in an 8192-byte memory buffer; the exact number depends on the UNIX kernel. Bytes are written to the end of the buffer and read from the beginning of the buffer. Once a byte has been read, it is eliminated from the buffer, making space for another byte to be written; readers cannot ``rewind'' a pipe to read old data. Once 8192 bytes have been written to the buffer, the pipe will not be ready for further writing until some of the bytes have been read. Once all the bytes written have been read, the pipe will not be ready for further reading until more bytes are written. io_pipe sets d[0] to the number of a new descriptor reading from the pipe, and sets d[1] to the number of a new descriptor writing to the pipe. It then returns 1 to indicate success. If something goes wrong, io_pipe returns 0, setting errno to indicate the error; in this case it frees any memory that it allocated for the new pipe, and it leaves d alone. SEE ALSO
io_readfile(3), io_createfile(3), io_socketpair(3) io_pipe(3)