Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find diff bet 2 files and store result in another file Post 302410930 by panyam on Wednesday 7th of April 2010 07:21:08 AM
Old 04-07-2010
Did not get any idea to do it in a short way,

But this will be fine:

Code:

diff  File1 File2 | awk '/Blocks/' | sed -e 's/<//g' -e 's/>//g' | sort -u

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -R and then diff on those result

Hi, I have two similar directory structures. One is the latest dev environment and the other is a previous version of the same dev environment. I need to do a diff on the .cpp .c .java and .h files. Hence I need a list of all the files of the above pattern so that I can diff then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prase a file and store and result to an array

Dear all, I have a file having the following formats: ThreadFail=Web1=1234 ThreadFail=Web2=2345 ThreadFail=Web3=12 ConnectionFail=DB1=11 ConnectionFail=DB2=22 The number of lines will be different from every time . How can I parse the file and store the result to an a array inside... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: youareapkman
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files, diff the result

Hi Everyone, 1.txt 00:01:01 asdf 00:33:33 1234 00:33:33 0987 00:33:33 12 00:33:33 444 2.txt vvvv|ee 444|dd33|ee dddd|ee 12|ee 3ciur|fdd the output should be: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for string and store last result to variable

Hi, I'm trying to search a text file for a string: "energy(sigma->0)=". To do so, I executed the grep command, which returned many matches, for example: energy without entropy = -112.16486170 energy(sigma->0) = -112.16520778 energy without entropy = -112.16488936 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwr
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find diff between two patterns in two files and append

Hi, I'm a newbie at programming in Unix, and I seem to have a task that is greater than I can handle. Trying to learn awk by the way (but in the end, i just need something that works). My goal is to compare two files and output the difference between the two. I've been reading, and I think I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato22
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hit multiple URL from a text file and store result in other test file

Hi, I have a problem where i have to hit multiple URL that are stored in a text file (input.txt) and save their output in different text file (output.txt) somewhat like : cat input.txt http://192.168.21.20:8080/PPUPS/international?NUmber=917875446856... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding diff result

Hi, Is there a way to add padding to a diff result in unix so number of "< .." lines will be equal to number of "> .." lines? For example, if the original result is: 9a10 > "line which exists only in one file" The changed result would be: 9a10 < "noMatch" --- > "line which exists... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Somename
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only the files under a directory from the result of find command

Hi, I have a main folder 'home'. Lets say there is a folder 'bin' under 'home'. I want to check the list of files under subdirectories present under the /bin directory created in the last 24 hours. I am using the following find command under home/bin directory: find . -mtime -1 -print ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJose
3 Replies
DIFF(1) 							   User Commands							   DIFF(1)

NAME
slack-diff - compare file contents, modes, etc SYNOPSIS
slack-diff [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
A wrapper for diff that displays file modes and other metadata changes. -u -U NUM --unified[=NUM] Tell diff(1) to use unified output format. --diff PROG Use this program for diffing, instead of diff. --fakediff Make a fake diff for file modes and other things that are not file contents. Default is on, can be disabled with --nofakediff. -r --recursive Recursively compare any subdirectories found. -N --new-file Treat missing files as empty. Default is on, can be disabled with --nonew-file. --unidirectional-new-file Treat only missing files in the first directory as empty. --from-file Treat arguments as a list of files from which to read filenames to compare, two lines at a time. -0 --null Use NULLs instead of newlines as the separator in --from-file mode. --devnullhack You have a version of diff that can't deal with -N when not in recursive mode, so we need to feed it /dev/null instead of the miss- ing file. Default is on, can be disabled with --nodevnullhack. --version Output version info. --help Output this help. FILES are `FILE1 FILE2' or `DIR1 DIR2' or `DIR FILE...' or `FILE... DIR'. If --from-file or --to-file is given, there are no restrictions on FILES. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. SEE ALSO
diff(1) diffutils 2.8.1 April 2002 DIFF(1)