Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VIOS backup to DVD
Operating Systems AIX VIOS backup to DVD Post 302410335 by slow68 on Monday 5th of April 2010 03:44:27 PM
Old 04-05-2010
filosophizer - tried the "smitty mkdvd" command. The results were the same "burn_cd was successful" yet nothing is written to the DVD. It was a bit more verbose yet was not giving an error.

lo-lp-kl - Thanks for the link, I was in there before I posted here. I try and do my homework before asking for help - sometimes I do miss things though.

So far I have tested using DVD -R, DVD +R and DVD -RAM with the same results. So for grins I thought I might test without any media just to see if I could get an error message:

Code:
$ backupios -cd /dev/cd0 -cdformat -nosvg
Backup in progress.  This command can take a considerable amount of time
to complete, please be patient...

Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
Verifying command parameters...
0512-332 mkcd: Device /dev/cd0 does not appear to be ready.  For
information about possible causes, see  /usr/lpp/bos.sysmgt/mkcd.README.txt
  Continuing...
Creating image.data file...

0512-329 mkcd: User specified CD or DVD file system: /mkcd/cd_fs
needs an additional 4589964982 bytes.
Cleaning up...
$ $ backupios -cd /dev/cd0 -cdformat -nosvg
Backup in progress.  This command can take a considerable amount of time
to complete, please be patient...

Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
Verifying command parameters...
0512-332 mkcd: Device /dev/cd0 does not appear to be ready.  For
information about possible causes, see  /usr/lpp/bos.sysmgt/mkcd.README.txt
  Continuing...
Creating image.data file...

0512-329 mkcd: User specified CD or DVD file system: /mkcd/cd_fs
needs an additional 4589964982 bytes.
Cleaning up...
$

So it does seem to realize that the drive contains media.

Last edited by Scott; 04-23-2010 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to take OS Backup of SLES 10 on DVD....???

Dear All, I have two intel xeon servers running with SLES 10 on a cluster environment (Veritas Cluster 4.1 - 2 Node Cluster - Active Passive). Both the systems are having hardware RAID 1 for OS disk. Both the systems are having DVD writer. I would like to take the OS backup on DVD which can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
0 Replies

2. AIX

VIOS Backup

Dear friends.. Will it be OK if I backup VIO Server Using smit mksysb?? will it save all virtual host mapings etc...??? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
3 Replies

3. AIX

Need help with mksysb backup on a DVD

i have an AIX server and planning to upgrade the operating system, before that i want to take a system backup which can be used in case of upgrade failure. i dont have NIM server t hold the mksysb backups. so i have the only option of taking the backup on DVD. i have the following optical drive... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
5 Replies

4. AIX

VIOS IP address - separate vlan for vios servers ?

Hello, Lets say for simplicity that I do not use any vlan config inside my server - one lpar group use hea physical port1, another group hea physical port2. Physical port1 configured as vlan1 on external switch, physical port2 as vlan2. What is the common practice - should I isolate my vios... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

5. AIX

VIOS backup

I have 4 VIO server. I have to take backup of VIOS. I got the command "backupios" for taking the backup. My question is if i am taking "backupios -tape /dev/rmt0 " whether it will take rootvg and all the user defined VG / File system which are using for virtual disk for client lpar. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
4 Replies

6. AIX

No response when inserting mksysb backup DVD #3

Hello AIXians, I have a corrupted file systems in my AIX server (6.1), which are /var, /home & /opt. I tried many times to fix them using fsck but it gives me: 'Fatal I/O error'. So I decided to restore them from bootable mksysb DVD (4 DVDs) after booting from these DVDs. Every thing was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
0 Replies

7. AIX

Using mkdvd to create bootable mksysb on dvd reports success but nothing on dvd?

Hello, Running AIX 7.1 7100-00-03-1115, trying to make a mksysb image to a dvd drive using mkdvd. My final command looks like this.. mkdvd -e -V rootvg -R -C /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_fs -I /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_images -M /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/mksysbimage -d /dev/cd0 -Y When i run this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
ds.log(4)							   File Formats 							 ds.log(4)

NAME
ds.log - Availability Suite data services log file DESCRIPTION
The /var/adm/ds.log file contains the Availability Suite data services command log. The administration commands log activities to the file in the format: date time product: message Note that when the size of the log file exceeds 10 Mbytes, ds.log is renamed /var/adm/ds.log.bak and a new /var/adm/ds.log file is cre- ated. The ds.log fields are: date The date format is mmm nn, where mmm is the local three-character abbreviation for the month and nn is the day of the month on which the event occurred. time The time of the event, in hh:mm:ss format. product A product code that identifies which component of the data services produced the event. The code is separated from the message that follows by a colon (:) and a space. message A message that can extend over more than one line describing the event that occurred. The second or following lines are not pre- fixed by the date, time, and product code strings. EXAMPLES
The example below shows sample ds.log file content: Jan 25 05:26:17 ii: iiboot suspend cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:02 ii: iiboot resume cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigmaster Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigshadow Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/mstvxfs Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/master01 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Architecture | x86 | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWscmu | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iiadm(1M), sndradm(1M), svadm(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 08 Jun 2007 ds.log(4)