Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Problems using shutdown -u command Post 302410221 by tlarkin on Monday 5th of April 2010 10:11:46 AM
Old 04-05-2010
I just use the built in settings in System Preferences for my servers and it seems to work. Sometimes they will hang on shutdown though and will have to be cycled manually. Under the power options in System Preferences

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems

I seem to have consistent problems shuting down whichever init state I use basically I get the following errors messages followed by a return to the prompt # shutdown -i6 -g0 -y Shutdown started. Tue Oct 1 09:47:03 BST 2002 Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on hermione Tue Oct 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems

Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems I seem to have consistent problems shuting down whichever init state I use basically I get the following errors messages followed by a return to the prompt # shutdown -i6 -g0 -y Shutdown started. Tue Oct 1 09:47:03 BST 2002 Broadcast Message from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vviscomi
1 Replies

3. Solaris

shutdown question from command line

solaris 10 logged in as root to command line...want to shut the system down....could not do this....when i chose shutdown the system seemed to squawk at me saying i'd lose whatever i was working on would be lost unless i logged out...after proceeding through this it took me to the gui log in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drisnya
6 Replies

4. AIX

shutdown command

Hi, After issuing shutdown -F or shutdown -F now my server is getting restarted. Any Idea? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

6. AIX

Shutdown command

Hi, is there a difference between shutdown -Fand shutdown -h now? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: x_adm
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

cronjob Command for Shutdown

Hi Guys Pls give me cronjob command for Network pcs to be shutDown on 06:05 PM is it possible to do in cronjob ? :wall: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit script when shutdown or reboot command is given

This is probably a simple question, but I'm new with writing scripts for Linux (IPFire in this case) and Google wasn't helpful with this. When creating a script, what is the best and/or proper way to have it exit automatically if the reboot or shutdown command is given? If that's even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartgrefte
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux SuSE SLES 8 error..unable to issue shutdown command

the only way we can power off is if we actually press power button on server. Running on HP DL-G4. from root, when we issue command it just returns to root prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amexboy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with shutdown command in script (MacOS High Sierra)

Hello, I have a backup script that runs an rsync backup to an external drive. I use the script frequently on Windows and Linux and have installed it on a Mac. The script has an option to run shutdown after the backup has completed. Since backup can take hours to run, this is an option that is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
10 Replies
opendirectoryd(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					 opendirectoryd(8)

NAME
opendirectoryd -- is a launchd(8) job for client access to local or remote directory systems SYNOPSIS
opendirectoryd [--version] DESCRIPTION
opendirectoryd is a launchd(8) job which replaces "DirectoryService" as a core part of the Open Directory technology. Several modules are provided that allow access to existing directory systems: o Active Directory o LDAP o Local Database o NIS Modules opendirectoryd modules have specific capabilities: Authentication password verification, password changes, etc. Connection general connections used for queries, record modifications, etc. Discovery location and prioritization of servers to contact (a.k.a., service discovery) Unspecified a generic module used for unspecified purpose (usually to extend capabilities) Third party plugins developed for "DirectoryService" are supported via dspluginhelperd(8). Open Directory Open Directory is a technology which includes a client API abstraction layer, a directory server, and the opendirectoryd daemon. This allows clients to utilize a single API to access a variety of directory servers simultaneously or configure their own directory server. Open Directory forms the foundation of how Mac OS X accesses all authoritative configuration information (users, groups, mounts, managed desktop data, etc.). This allows use of virtually any directory system via Apple and third party modules. Configuration of opendirectoryd is done via "System Preferences" under the "Users & Groups" preference pane. Advanced settings are available by using "Open Directory Utility..." within "Users & Groups" preference pane. More information is available from the Open Directory website: http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/opendirectory/ Open Directory Server Open Directory Server utilizes OpenLDAP which is included as part of Mac OS X Client, Mac OS X Server, and Darwin. OpenLDAP provides a robust and scalable platform for serving directory-based information for both standalone and networked systems. NFSv4 Domain name The following will set the default domain name used to map user and group identities in NFSv4 client/server operations. dscl . -create Config/NFSv4Domain RealName <Example.com> This command requires root privileges. FILES
Files are stored in various locations for opendirectoryd depending on use. A list of folders and files are shown below. System files provided by Apple and should only change with operating system updates: /System/Library/OpenDirectory/Configurations/ node configuration files /System/Library/OpenDirectory/DynamicNodeTemplates/ dynamic node definitions /System/Library/OpenDirectory/Mappings/ record/attribute mapping tables /System/Library/OpenDirectory/Modules/ modules to be loaded on demand /System/Library/OpenDirectory/Templates/ templates used for node styles (module layout and mappings) /System/Library/OpenDirectory/record-schema.plist OpenDirectory record/attribute schema /System/Library/OpenDirectory/permissions.plist OpenDirectory global record/attribute permissions User defined files: /Library/OpenDirectory/Templates/ templates used for node styles (module layout and mappings) /Library/OpenDirectory/Mappings/ record/attribute mapping tables Files that change periodically are located in: /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/Configurations/ node configuration files /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/DynamicData/ dynamic data stored by nodes /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/.LogDebugAtStartOnce enables debug logging until process exits or system is rebooted (reboot required) /var/log/opendirectoryd.log* log file(s) for opendirectoryd Legacy locations: /Library/DirectoryServices/PlugIns/ third party DirectoryService plugins loaded by dspluginhelperd SEE ALSO
odutil(1), dspluginhelperd(8), slapd(8) BSD
March 3, 2011 BSD