Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting `(' unexpected error when running a shell script in AIX Post 302409348 by Scott on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 08:38:31 PM
Old 03-31-2010
You are correct.

On AIX sh is a link to ksh (not synonymous with BASH, as on Linux).

You can possibly:
  • Change the shebang to #!/bin/bash - if it's installed
  • Change the shebang to #!/usr/bin/ksh93
  • Change the array syntax to the ksh "set -A" format

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in running shell script in cron

#!/bin/bash CLASSPATH=. #CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:${INSTALL_PATH}home/squidlog/CopyFile.java CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:${INSTALL_PATH}usr/java/latest/lib/*.jar javac CopyFile.java echo "CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH" #home/wbiadmin/JRE1.4.2/j2re1.4.2_15/bin/java CopyFile /usr/bin/java... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sari
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on shell script : syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected

Hi All, I have written a korn script (code pasted below). It is giving the error while debugging "new.sh: syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected". I have re-written the whole code in VI and explored all help related to this error on this Unix forum and tried it. Somehow, I could... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while running as shell script

Storage_Unit=`du -h /var/spool/cron/root|awk '{print $1}'|sed -e "s/^.*\(.\)$/\1/"` If then Size=`du -h /var/spool/cron/root|awk '{print $1}'|sed 's/.\{1\}$//'` for Size_rounded_number in $(printf %.0f $Size); do ROUNDED_Size=$Size_rounded_number done if #setting a threshold of say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

error running shell script

how can i fix this error. + f_Delete resync-printers.ksh: test: argument expected lpadmin: Expected printer or class after '-x' option! resync-printers.ksh: test: argument expected + f_Create resync-printers.ksh: trying to execute a function (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggoliath
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launcher Error: while running shell script

Hi Experts, I have a shell script which used to take oracle database backup, which is scheduled in a tidal scheduling tool. however it is throwing an error while triggering the job and getting below error in the log file. "Launcher Error: This is an internal function" shell script is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UnniVKN
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Error during running sqlplus command from shell script in Solaris

I am using following code to connect to oracle database from solaris shell script. which will try thrice to connect the database ...at the 4rth atempt it will exir=t. count=0 while ; do sqlplus -s $usrname/$password@dbSID <<-EOF | tee $logfile WHENEVER OSERROR EXIT 9; WHENEVER SQLERROR... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put a trace on shell script running in AIX?

Please help me in putting a trace on shell script running in AIX Best regards, Vishal (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL: syntax error near unexpected token `else'

Hi, I wrote this shell script to be a tool for my team to do daily routine works. Though, option a and b are working fine, option c is giving below error. line 647: syntax error near unexpected token `else' line 647: `else' Here s my script. A bit lengthy though. Pls excuse. Also,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while running Procedure in shell script

Hi All, I am running the below proc in unix by connecting through sqlplus and the procedure is completing successfully. But when i am trying to run through shell scripting by using function. I am getting the error as follows. Please guide me where I am going wrong. #!/bin/sh opera () {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
6 Replies
secure_sid_scripts(5)						File Formats Manual					     secure_sid_scripts(5)

NAME
secure_sid_scripts - controls whether setuid and setgid bits on scripts are honored VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
This tunable controls whether and bits on executable scripts have any effect. Honoring on scripts make a system vulnerable to attack by malicious users. The default value for this variable is 1, indicating that bits are to be ignored by the execve(2) system call for higher security. The tunable can be set to 0 for a compatibility with older releases at the expense of security. Hewlett-Packard strongly recommends that you not change the value of this tunable unless there is an urgent need to do so. When a script with bits is executed, the kernel generates the following error message to both the terminal controlling and the system log. (To view the error message, use dmesg(1M) or inspect Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Administrator. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect for new scripts started after the change. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Changed? This tunable controls operational modes rather than data structure sizes and limits. The appropriate setting for a system depends on whether you consider security or compatibility to be most important. A value of is compatible with previous releases of HP-UX, but it is also less secure. A value of provides security against race condition attacks exploiting scripts. What Are the Side Effects of Changing the Value This tunable controls only executable scripts (not programs) with bit set. HP-UX does not ship with any such scripts. If the customer wishes to use scripts, third party applications such as or can be used. Alternatively, the shell script can be wrapped in a simple C pro- gram that runs the shell script with appropriate permissions: What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
None. All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at FILES
AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), execve(2), kctune(1M). Tunable Kernel Parameters secure_sid_scripts(5)