Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash user input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash user input Post 302409213 by kshji on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 11:41:57 AM
Old 03-31-2010
Code:
user="$1"   # take arg
# if empty then ask
[ "$user" = "" ] && read -p "New user? " user
# if value is empty, set some default
[ "$user" = "" ] && user="somedefaultvalue"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only chracter or only number ?

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only character or only number ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Any Way to Get User Input Without Requiring Them to Hit the Enter Key?

I'm working on making a menu system on an HP-UX box with Bash on it. The old menu system presents the users with a standard text menu with numbers to make selections. I'm re-working the system and I would like to provide something more akin to iterative search in Emacs. I have a list of 28... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH validate user input

Hey, im trying to validate a user input and need some help. The input needs to be just a single letter. Im using a case to so this eg: read answer case $answer in *) echo "OK" ;; *) echo "This is a number" read answer ;; *) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 602chrislys
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script verify user input is not empty and is equal to a value

I need to create a script that has a user enter a value. I want to verify that the value is either 1,2, or 3. If it is not then I want them to try entering it again. I am using a while loop to force them to retry. I am able to test the input against 1,2, and 3, but when I test agains an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartiati
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash user input

I am starting to learn how to use bash and I would like the script to do the following: Asks the user for his/her name Asks the user for one number Asks the user for another number Then it adds the two numbers, Also multiply the two numbers I have the part where you get the name, and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] how is proper way to validate user input

hi all, i have a script that need user input provide all variables that needed to complete a job. this is my current script: echo "type file source and it full path :" read INPUTFILE if || ; then echo "ERROR: you didn't enter a file source or file source is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies
Mail::Server::IMAP4::List(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Mail::Server::IMAP4::List(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Server::IMAP4::List - folder related IMAP4 answers SYNOPSIS
my $imap = Mail::Server::IMAP4::List->new ( folders => $folders # Mail::Box::Identity , inbox => $inbox # Mail::Box , delimiter => '#' ); my $imap = Mail::Server::IMAP4::List->new(user => $user); print $imap->list(...); # for LIST command METHODS
Constructors Mail::Server::IMAP4::List->new(USER) Create a (temporary) object to handle the LIST requests for a certain user, based upon a set of folders. The data is kept by Mail::Box::Identity and Mail::Box::Collection objects, which mean that the folders will not be opened to answer these questions. -Option --Default delimeter '/' folders <from user> inbox <from user> user <undef> delimeter => STRING|CODE Either the constant delimiter, or a code reference which will get passed a folder name and should return the delimiter string used in that name. If that folder name is empty, the default delimiter must be reported. See delimiter() for an example. folders => OBJECT You need to specify either a set of folders explicitly or via the user. Some Mail::Box::Identity OBJECT is needed. inbox => BOOLEAN For now, only used to see whether there is an inbox, so a truth value will do. This may change in the future. By default, the flag is set if "$user-"inbox> is defined. user => OBJECT A Mail::Box::Manage::User OBJECT, representing the user who's folders must get reported. Attributes $obj->delimiter([FOLDERNAME]) Returns the delimiter string. The foldername is only required when a CODE reference was specified at initiation. example: setting-up an IMAP4 delimeter sub delim($) { my $path = shift; my ($delim, $root) = $path =~ m/^(#news.)/ ? ('.', $1) = $path =~ m!^/! ? ('/', '/') : ('/', ''); wantarray ? ($delim, $root) : $delim; } my $list = Mail::Server::IMAP4::List->new(delimiter => &delim, ...); print $list->delimiter('abc/xyz'); # returns a / (slash) and '' print $list->delimiter('#news.feed'); # returns a . (dot) and $news. print $list->delimiter(''); # returns default delimiter $obj->folders() Returns the Mail::Box::Identity of the toplevel folder. $obj->inbox() Returns the Mail::Box or filename of the INBOX. $obj->user() Returns the Mail::Box::Manage::User object, if defined. IMAP Commands $obj->list(BASE, PATTERN) IMAP's LIST command. The request must be partially decoded, the answer will need to be encoded. example: using IMAP list my $imap = Mail::Server::IMAP4::List->new(delimiter => &delim, ...); local $" = ';'; my @lines = $imap->list('', ''); # returns the default delimiter print ">@{$lines[0]}<"; # >(Noselect);/;< my @lines = $imap->list('#news',''); # specific delimiter print ">@{$lines[0]}<"; # >(Noselect);.;< my @lines = $imap->list('top/x/', '%'); print ">@$_<," foreach @lines; # >();/;/tmp/x/y<,>(Marked);/;/tmp/x/z< DETAILS
See RFC2060: "Internet Message Access Protocol IMAP4v1" sections 6.3.8 (LIST question) and 7.2.2 (LIST answer) SEE ALSO
This module is part of Mail-Box distribution version 2.105, built on May 07, 2012. Website: http://perl.overmeer.net/mailbox/ LICENSE
Copyrights 2001-2012 by [Mark Overmeer]. For other contributors see ChangeLog. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 Mail::Server::IMAP4::List(3pm)