Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash user input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash user input Post 302409128 by methyl on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 08:18:58 AM
Old 03-31-2010
Code:
# Is there a parameter on the command line?
# If not then ask for the parameter. 
if [ ! "$1""X" = "X" ]
then
        user="$1"
else
        read -p "New user? " user
fi
#
if [ "${user}" == "" ]
then
        echo "assign default value"
        user="Default"
else
        echo "Ok"
fi

Last edited by methyl; 03-31-2010 at 09:24 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only chracter or only number ?

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only character or only number ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Any Way to Get User Input Without Requiring Them to Hit the Enter Key?

I'm working on making a menu system on an HP-UX box with Bash on it. The old menu system presents the users with a standard text menu with numbers to make selections. I'm re-working the system and I would like to provide something more akin to iterative search in Emacs. I have a list of 28... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH validate user input

Hey, im trying to validate a user input and need some help. The input needs to be just a single letter. Im using a case to so this eg: read answer case $answer in *) echo "OK" ;; *) echo "This is a number" read answer ;; *) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 602chrislys
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script verify user input is not empty and is equal to a value

I need to create a script that has a user enter a value. I want to verify that the value is either 1,2, or 3. If it is not then I want them to try entering it again. I am using a while loop to force them to retry. I am able to test the input against 1,2, and 3, but when I test agains an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartiati
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash user input

I am starting to learn how to use bash and I would like the script to do the following: Asks the user for his/her name Asks the user for one number Asks the user for another number Then it adds the two numbers, Also multiply the two numbers I have the part where you get the name, and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] how is proper way to validate user input

hi all, i have a script that need user input provide all variables that needed to complete a job. this is my current script: echo "type file source and it full path :" read INPUTFILE if || ; then echo "ERROR: you didn't enter a file source or file source is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)