Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to start a process killable by all Post 302409098 by rebelbuttmunch on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 07:03:35 AM
Old 03-31-2010
how to start a process killable by all

Hi,

Is there a way to start a process that any other user would have the privs to kill?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get telnetd to start a process other than login

I want to be able to get telnetd to start a program of my choice or one that I have written . . . or . . . write a daemon of my own to listen on a port other than 23 and when a connection arrives it should create a controlling tty/pty and then launch my program on the client side of the pty. A... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdenaro
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start process in shellscript at other terminal

A programming running in tty0 crashes. In a second terminal I kill all the processes. Can i start the program again from this terminal? Yes, I can, but it starts in tty1, and when i close the terminal, the program closes. Now I want to start the program from tty1 in tty0, so i can close... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benschell
4 Replies

3. Programming

get process start time

Hi all, I like to know how can I get currenlty running process start time and date , I know only porcess id in solaris and hp-ux and what is command to get same using ps with switch. Thanks Naeem (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naeem ahmad
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start a process.. from a different host ...

Hi ! I want to start and stop a process... on different machines(HOSTS) example : I have machine1..machine2..machine3 And I have a NFS file system. (Wlsuite/myfile/) I'm writing a script that will start processes in machine1.... machine2.... Preferably.. I dont want to log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script - How to automatically start another process when the previous process ends?

Hi all, I'm doing automation task for my team and I just started to learn unix scripting so please shed some light on how to do this: 1) I have 2 sets of datafiles - datafile A and B. These datafiles must be loaded subsequently and cannot be loaded concurrently. 2) So I loaded datafile A... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant start httpd process

httpd status is stopped.cant start it again by : /etc/init.d/httpd restart or /etc/init.d/httpd/start help needed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Scheduling where to start

Hello, i'm absolutely new to the whole Operating Systems thing. I am pretty much level 0. My assignment is to "simulate the execution of a stream of processes by a computer system, one CPU, many terminals 12 disk drives, 30 public mailboxes. The professor runs a series of inputs which is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JaneSkylar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to start process

Hi I want to create a script to be able to check if a process is running and act on it. Essentially I want to: Check acc process status /opt/ca/APMCommandCenterController./apmccctrl.sh status If process found not to be running Execute start command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
6 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)