Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: overhead of fopen/freopen
Top Forums Programming overhead of fopen/freopen Post 302408818 by migurus on Tuesday 30th of March 2010 03:07:36 PM
Old 03-30-2010
Thanks for your suggestions, people, great ideas!
I do not have real threads on this system, I will give aio a try.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

difference between fdopen() and freopen()

hi , I came acroos two functions fdopen() and freopen(). what is the difference between these two functions and where can they be used. Is it that fdopen() is used to write freopen(). Advance Thanks for your co-operation. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinnaree
1 Replies

2. Programming

.cc fopen failed - Broken Pipe

hello.. i make some code with C in freebsd 5.4 and compile it in solaris somehow i succeed compile the program. but when i run it, i got error message "Broken Pipe" i looked out the syntax that that caused this, fp = fopen("file.tmp","r"); does anyone know why, and how to solve this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuampang
3 Replies

3. Web Development

CAN TCPDF USE fopen() or Convert URL To PDF?

Dear all, I'm a newbie for PHP and TCPDF ,I have to change the URL to PDF, so I used FPDF , But it cannot convert most of the advanced HTML tags. So explored again and found TCPDF , it can do most of the tag but I cannot found to change URL to PDF. So Does anyone can point the example... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: athae
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

overhead in the archive

Hi everyone, I am currently trying to work out the size overhead in the library archive. The total size of all my objects file is about 100KB. However, when I package them into the archive (libXX.a), the size gets boosted up to 200KB. I want to know what exact is that 100KB overhead. I tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jasoncrab
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux fopen() mistery. Help required.

Hello! I'm having problems with fopen() call in Linux. I have shared library (created by myself) that implements some file operations: int lib_func(char* file_name) { ... fd = fopen(file_name, "r"); if(!fd) {... exit with error ...} ... do something useful using fd ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalbi
2 Replies

6. Programming

fopen and open

what is the difference between fopen and open fread and read fwrite and write open and create why this much of functions for the i/o when everything does the same...? What is their major difference? In which case, which is the best to use. :confused:'ed Collins (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
2 Replies

7. Programming

fopen() - don't know what I'm doing wrong

This code works fine when I use a command line argument for fopen()'s parameter, but when I change it to a filename, the program freezes upon compilation. input.txt is definitely there, so I can't figure it out. Thanks. #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <ctype.h> int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazypeterson
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Overhead of using a shared library

Hi, I found a very strange thing when I linked my executable with a shared library. That is the executable only references a small function of the shared library, and the size of this function is only hundred bytes, but when I check the /proc/pid/smaps, I found that the 'Rss' of this shared... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dongping84
8 Replies

9. Web Development

Java overhead

Hey Guys and girls,can anybody with a experience in java since i am pretty new in it, tell me why a java or java enabled web program is eating up so much system resources like CPU,Ram......ect and how to go by finding what is causing the overhead.;) Thanks a mill (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techcreeb
3 Replies

10. Programming

help plz - fopen()

Hello, I have a problem here, I want to write a function called"myfopen()" instead of "fopen()" for writing this function I must not use the <stdio.h> library, Can you help me? thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamed.samie
2 Replies
fopen(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions					       fopen(3UCB)

NAME
fopen, freopen - open a stream SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc[ flag ... ] file ... #include <stdio.h> FILE *fopen( file, mode); const char *file, *mode; FILE *freopen(file, mode, iop); const char *file, *mode; register FILE *iop; DESCRIPTION
The fopen() function opens the file specified by file and associates a stream with it. If the open succeeds, fopen() returns a pointer to be used to identify the stream in subsequent operations. The file argument points to a character string that contains the name of the file to be opened. The mode argument is a character string having one of the following values: r open for reading w truncate or create for writing a append: open for writing at end of file, or create for writing r+ open for update (reading and writing) w+ truncate or create for update a+ append; open or create for update at EOF The freopen() function opens the file specified by file and associates the stream pointed to by iop with it. The mode argument is used just as in fopen(). The original stream is closed, regardless of whether the open ultimately succeeds. If the open succeeds, freopen() returns the original value of iop. The freopen() function is typically used to attach the preopened streams associated withstdin, stdout, and stderr to other files. When a file is opened for update, both input and output can be performed on the resulting stream. Output cannot be directly followed by input without an intervening fseek(3C) or rewind(3C). Input cannot be directly followed by output without an intervening fseek(3C) or rewind(3C). An input operation that encounters EOF will fail. RETURN VALUES
The fopen() and freopen() functions return a NULL pointer on failure. USAGE
The fopen() and freopen() functions have transitional interfaces for 64-bit file offsets. See lf64(5). SEE ALSO
open(2), fclose(3C), fopen(3C), freopen(3C), fseek(3C), malloc(3C), rewind(3C), lf64(5) NOTES
Use of these functions should be restricted to applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these functions with any of the system libraries or in multithreaded applications is unsupported. To support the same number of open files as the system, fopen() must allocate additional memory for data structures using malloc(3C) after 64 files have been opened. This confuses some programs that use their own memory allocators. The fopen() and freopen() functions differ from the standard I/O functions fopen(3C) and freopen(3C). The standard I/O functions distin- guish binary from text files with an additional use of 'b' as part of the mode, enabling portability of fopen(3C) and freopen(3C) beyond SunOS 4.x systems. SunOS 5.10 22 Jan 1993 fopen(3UCB)