Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting why am I losing line-end chars Post 302408547 by anbu23 on Monday 29th of March 2010 10:15:12 PM
Old 03-29-2010
Code:
IFS=""
OUTFILE=$(egrep -e 'matchstring' infile.txt)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using PERL to append chars to each line

I tried using SED to do this, but I'm not having any luck with it. See the previous thread here. I have a program called AMStracker (on OS X) that spits out the values of the motion sensor in the HDD. It has output that looks like this: . . 3 0 -75 3 0 -76 3 0 -77 . . I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0nn0r
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to append few chars at the end of a file

hi i want to open a file at runtime append few chars at the end of each line all these i want to have done automatically how to do it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert C source from 8bit chars to 16bit chars?

I was using the following bash command inside the emacs compile command to search C++ source code: grep -inr --include='*.h' --include='*.cpp' '"' * | sed "/include/d" | sed "/_T/d" | sed '/^ *\/\//d' | sed '/extern/d' Emacs will then position me in the correct file and at the correct line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get multiple line content between two chars

Hello - I have a file that has the something like the following : REM CREATE TABLE lots of text REM table specifc creation text ; REM ALTER TABLE lots of text REM text specific to the the alter command REM could be more lines of text; What I need is to get all the lines for the ALTER... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Feliz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert new line at found chars

Hey gang, I have: XXZZXXZZXX 123 asdaffggh dfghyrgr ertyhdhh XXZZXXZZXX 234 sdg XXZZXXZZXX 456 gfg fggfd That is all on one line. Very simply put I want to do is something like: sed s'/XXZZXXZZXX /\n/g' or tr 'XXZZXXZZXX ' '/n' I have tried various things but can never get the desired... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - how to insert chars into a line

Hi I'm new to sed, and need to add characters into a specific location of a file, the fileds are tab seperated. text <tab> <tab> text <tab> text EOL I need to add more characters to the line to look like this: text <tab> <tab> newtext <tab> text <tab> text EOL Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tangentviper
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to erase junk Chars coming in only the first line

I have a file containing few thousands of lines. when I do cat on it , i find it having two special Chars at the start of first line alone as shown down here. ÿþHDR|20111024|01 If i delete this line and do a cat on file , the current first line is shown to have the same special Chars. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subramanian2008
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep with special chars line by line

I have a file that includes strings with special characters, eg file1 line: 1 - special 1 line: = 4 line; -3 etc How can I grep the lines of file1 from file2, line by line? I used fgrep and egrep to grep a particular line and worked fine, but when I used: cat file1|while read line;do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
UNIQ(1) 								FSF								   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - remove duplicate lines from a sorted file SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Discard all but one of successive identical lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines -D, --all-repeated[=delimit-method] print all duplicate lines delimit-method={none(default),prepend,separate} Delimiting is done with blank lines. -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of whitespace, then non-whitespace characters. Fields are skipped before chars. AUTHOR
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info uniq should give you access to the complete manual. uniq (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 UNIQ(1)