Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a word with a buch of lines Post 302408142 by malcomex999 on Sunday 28th of March 2010 09:36:05 AM
Old 03-28-2010
Code:
awk '/change/{system("cat replace.txt");next}1' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing of word

Hi all, I wanted to replace one word with another word pl help me to solve the same. example:- I wanted to replace RXOTX with RXOTRX in a perticuler file with hole. Regards, Ramesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing word and Incrementing

Hi I'm having difficulty in writing a script with searching a specified word using sed and replaces that word with numbers that is incremented I tried this: #!/bin/sh awk '{ for (i=2010; i<=NF; i++) sed 's/TBA/$i; }' filename.txt > outputfile.txt but it doesn't work. here is my desired... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression for replacing the fist word with a last word in line

I have a File with the below contents File1 I have no prior experience in unix. I have just started to work in unix. My experience in unix is 0. My Total It exp is 3 yrs. I need to replace the first word in each line with the last word for example unix have no prior experience in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri_swami
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a word

Dear Friends, I am facing some problem with some hundred files. Hence to use these file I have to make a small change in each file. But its not possible to open each file and make changes manually. Hence I need guidance frm you to automate it. Example File name is "Queue_11.txt" reload sec=F... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines

So the tag for this forum says all newbies welcome... All I want to do is go through my file and find lines which contain a given string of characters then replace these with a blank line. I really tried to find a simple command to do this but failed. Here's what I did come up with though: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing first word while extracting

Hello All, I am extracting a part of file. the file looks as follows USING CHARACTER SET UTF8 DEFINE JOB ( DEFINE SCHEMA Flat_File_Schema ( cntnt_id VARCHAR(10) ); DEFINE OPERATOR o_mload TYPE update SCHEMA * ATTRIBUTES ( VARCHAR TdpId = @TdpId (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the first word if the word three match

Dear ALL, I have sample file : IDcentos-forum,bash,linuxCentOS,GNome IEfedora-milis,cli,linuxRedhat,KDE IRfreebsd-milis,aix,unixbsd,pyton required output: centos,bash,linuxCentOS,GNome fedora,cli,linuxRedhat,KDE freebsd,aix,unixbsd,pyton Can you help me pls.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnulyn
1 Replies
lreplace(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       lreplace(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lreplace - Replace elements in a list with new elements SYNOPSIS
lreplace list first last ?element element ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
lreplace returns a new list formed by replacing one or more elements of list with the element arguments. first and last are index values | specifying the first and last elements of the range to replace. The index values first and last are interpreted the same as index values | for the command string index, supporting simple index arithmetic and indices relative to the end of the list. 0 refers to the first ele- | ment of the list, and end refers to the last element of the list. If list is empty, then first and last are ignored. If first is less than zero, it is considered to refer to before the first element of the list. For non-empty lists, the element indicated by first must exist or first must indicate before the start of the list. If last is less than first, then any specified elements will be inserted into the list at the point specified by first with no elements being deleted. The element arguments specify zero or more new arguments to be added to the list in place of those that were deleted. Each element argu- ment will become a separate element of the list. If no element arguments are specified, then the elements between first and last are sim- ply deleted. If list is empty, any element arguments are added to the end of the list. EXAMPLES
Replacing an element of a list with another: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 1 foo a foo c d e Replacing two elements of a list with three: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 2 three more elements a three more elements d e Deleting the last element from a list in a variable: % set var {a b c d e} a b c d e % set var [lreplace $var end end] a b c d A procedure to delete a given element from a list: proc lremove {listVariable value} { upvar 1 $listVariable var set idx [lsearch -exact $var $value] set var [lreplace $var $idx $idx] } SEE ALSO
list(n), lappend(n), lindex(n), linsert(n), llength(n), lsearch(n), lset(n), lrange(n), lsort(n), string(n) | KEYWORDS
element, list, replace Tcl 7.4 lreplace(n)