Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with command to Move files by X number to seperate directories Post 302407380 by bakunin on Thursday 25th of March 2010 09:02:28 AM
Old 03-25-2010
The most important thing to take into account is to avoid using a for-loop: you would run into an "argument list too long"-error. I have no directory with that many files at hand to test it, but the following should work (i still can't tell you about execution time, test it carefully):

Code:
#! /bin/ksh
typeset iCnt=0
typeset fSrcDir="/path/to/source-dir"
typeset fTgtDir="/path/to/target-dir"
typeset iPart=1
typeset fFile=""

ls "$fSrcDir" | while read fFile ; do
     mv "$fSrcDir/$fFile" "${fTgtDir}/Part${iPart}"
     if [ $? -gt 0 ] ; then
          exit $?
     fi
     (( iCnt += 1 ))
     if [ $iCnt -ge 10000 ] ; then
          iCnt=0
          (( iPart += 1 ))
     fi
done

exit 0

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to move certain number of files every 10 minutes.

Hi, I need to move a certain number of files every 10 minutes from one folder to another. I have written the script below, however its not working, please advise. #! /bin/ksh start() { mv /test1/$(head -1000 /movetst) /test2/ sleep 600 } stop() { exit } ls ti* >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitsayshii
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing for specific directories, and using the output to move files

Hello, this is probably another really simple tasks for most of you gurus, however I am trying to make a script which takes an input, greps a specific file for that input, prints back to screen the results (which are directory names) and then be able to use the directory names to move files.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Batch file to move video files and retain sub-directories

I have just purchased my first ever Apple computer - and am therefore new to UNIX also. I would like to create a simple "batch file" (apologies if this is the wrong terminology) to do the following: When I plug my camera into the MAC it automatically downloads photos and videos into a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm0mss
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move multipe files to corresponding directories

Hi, In a parent directory there are several files in the form IDENTIFIER1x IDENTIFIER1.yyy IDENTIFIER1_Z, etc IDENTIFIER2x IDENTIFIER2.yyy IDENTIFIER2_Z, etc IDENTIFIER3x IDENTIFIER3.yyy, IDENTIFIER3_Z, etcIn the same parent directory there are corresponding directories named... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirospap
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need BASH Script Help to Move Files While Creating Directories

I've got this script to loop through all folders and move files that are more than 2 years old. I'm using the install command because it creates the necessary directories on the destination path and then I remove the source. I'd like to change the script to use the mv command since it is much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: consultant
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move several files into specific directories with a loop

Hello, I'm a first time poster looking for help in scripting a task in my daily routine. I am new in unix but i am attracted to its use as a mac user. Bear with me... I have several files (20) that I manually drag via the mouse into several named directories over a network. I've used rsync... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: SonnyClark
14 Replies
typeset(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)