Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Prompt for 2 variables if nothing is entered end script Post 302407230 by kriminul1982 on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 10:37:49 PM
Old 03-24-2010
Error Thank you

That worked the only problem I'm having now is when the person inputs the filename they want ... I need that file to actually be created so that I can redirect the output to that file .... if I still have the same code as above changing the -s to -n what else is needed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script returns prompt

Hi, I am trying to create a script that will loop through my oratab file and pull out the instance name. Here is script: for instance in $(cat /etc/oratab|egrep ':N|:Y'|grep -v \*|grep -v \#|cut -f1 -d':') do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command prompt from within a script?

I am writing a menu script and one of the options is to access a Command Prompt and return to the menu via CTRL-D. I have tried using a loop and echoing the PS1 value, then using read to assign whatever is entered into a variable, then executing the value of that variable as a command using .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanitywonko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting cntrl-c entered inside a ksh script

hi guys, my ksh script is calling another script. The other script expects user to press CNTR-C, and does not return to the prompt. in my script, I want to call the other script, but somehow don't want it to wait forever, I want to return to my script. e.g. script2.ksh outputs: "No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to continue script if right word is not entered?

Hello, I am writing a script and in this script, I want to be able to have the script continue running if the correct word is not entered... Here is an excerpt from me script: read request if ; then echo "You have asked for the System Temperature..." cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niconico96
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Begin IF ,END IF END not working in the sql script

Hi I have written a script .The script runs properly if i write sql queries .But if i use PLSQL commands of BEGIN if end if , end ,then on running the script the comamds are getting printed on the prompt . Ex :temp.sql After connecting to the databse at the sql prompt i type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isha_1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete empty files from a directory entered in command prompt

My code to "Delete empty files from a directory entered in command promt" #/bin/sh echo "Enter directory" read gh for file in `ls $gh` do # to get the size of file a=$( ls -l file | awk ' {print $7} '); echo $a if then echo "removing file " rm file fi done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adirajup
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find between lines start and end: awk with bash variables

I have a file as follows: 0 1056 85540 414329 774485 1208487 1657519 2102753 2561259 3037737 3458144 3993019 4417959 4809964 5261890 5798778 6254146 I want to find all lines between a specified start and end tag. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
6 Replies
Data::Stag::HashDB(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Data::Stag::HashDB(3pm)

NAME
Data::Stag::HashDB - build indexes over Stag files or objects SYNOPSIS
# parsing a file into a hash my $hdb = Data::Stag::HashDB->new; $hdb->unique_key("ss_details/social_security_no"); $hdb->record_type("person"); my $obj = {}; $hdb->index_hash($obj); Data::Stag->parse(-file=>$fn, -handler=>$hdb); my $person = $obj->{'999-9999-9999'}; print $person->xml; # indexing an existing stag tree into a hash my $personset = Data::Stag->parse($fn); my $hdb = Data::Stag::HashDB->new; $hdb->unique_key("ss_details/social_security_no"); $hdb->record_type("person"); my $obj = {}; $hdb->index_hash($obj); $personset->sax($hdb); my $person = $obj->{'999-9999-9999'}; print $person->xml; DESCRIPTION
Used for building indexes over Stag files or objects You need to provide a record_type - this is the type of element that will be indexed You need to provide a unique_key - this is a single value used to index the record_types For example, if we have data in the stag structure below, and if ss_no is unique (we assume it is) then we can index all the people in the database using the code above publicinfo: persondata: person: ss_details: social_security_no: name: address: There is a subclass of this method callsed Data::Stag::StagDB, which makes the hash persistent PUBLIC METHODS - record_type Usage - Returns - Args - unique_key Usage - Returns - Args - index_hash Usage - Returns - Args - perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 Data::Stag::HashDB(3pm)