Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple Cut issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Cut issue Post 302407106 by frans on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 02:05:28 PM
Old 03-24-2010
Code:
echo $string | grep -o -e '[^/.]*\.tar' | cut -d'.' -f1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

The cut command. Really simple question!

hi, sorry for asking what I am sure is a really easy question, I am wanting to cut the users real name from the output of 'finger'. $ cut -f2-3 filename is in my script but it only seems to cut the first line. I need to cut the 2nd and 3rd word from each line and store them in variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rorey_breaker
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

simple issue..

I have a program. Everytime that I run that program ,it prints a disclaimer msg and prompts the user to accept the agreement (i.e: type 'y' or 'n'). Now I want to run the program multiple times with different inputs. So I wrote a script which runs in a loop and calls the program multiple times.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Cut Question

I've got a file that contains a large list of links in this type of style: 'home_dir\2009\09\01\file.html' I'd like to cut off all of the characters left of 'file.html'. I tried: cat file.txt | cut -d\ -f4 but it told me that I had an invalid delimiter. So I tried: cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple SED issue

Hi! I'm a newbie and can't find the exact sed to make this work. I've installed CentOS and am trying to pass variables to a network-config file. variables: $ipAddress $netmask $gateway file: DeviceList.Ethernet.eth0.IP=192.168.1.10 DeviceList.Ethernet.eth0.Netmask=255.255.255.0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greipr
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command issue from a line of text

Hi, I got a line of text which has spaces in between and it is a long stream of characters. I want to extract the text from certain position. Below is the line and I want to take out 3 characters from 86 to 88 character position. In this line space is also a character. However when using cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT Command and grep issue

I am trying to grep the oracle erros evry day from the logs file. My problem is : -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 17438361 Apr 5 11:59 RetryService-RetryService.log -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 245303 Apr 5 12:00 ResponseService-ResponseService.log -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 2122654 Apr 5 12:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with cut and paste

let i have A file and B file A has contains 4 fields as below ---------------- f1 f2 f3 f4 B file consists of 5 fields as below -------------------- f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 need to display as below output: f5 f1 f3 f8 f9 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANSHUMAN1983
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command issue with shell script

I am writing a shell script to skip couple of feilds in a flat file and as a part of this I have written the below piece of code in it. cut -d '|' -f 1-17,19-31 $1 > filename To add pipe at end of the line I used below command, but it adds even to header and footer as well which i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command issue

Need help to append a pipe at end of the line immediately after the cut command, I have an Input flat file with 16 feilds and I am removing the 16th feild by using the cut command as shown, Input: 354|||||CORPORTATION||||NENE PARADE|||WISBECH|CAMBRIDGESHIRE|PE13 3BY|100001| I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with CUT command

Hi All, I am facing an issue while cutting fields with comma delimiter. There are many records with Double quotes in between. My data: aaa,bbb,"ccc, ddd",eee,fff,"ggg ,hhh",iii When i use cut command with comma delimiter, i am getting wrong data like field1=aaa field2=bbb field3="ccc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies
basename(1)						      General Commands Manual						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - extract portions of path names SYNOPSIS
string [suffix] [string] DESCRIPTION
deletes any prefix ending in and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the standard output. If string consists entirely of slash characters, string is set to a single slash character. If there are any trailing slash characters in string, they are removed. If the suffix operand is present but not identical to the characters remaining in string, but it is identical to a suf- fix of the characters remaining in string, the suffix is removed from string. is normally used inside command substitution marks within shell procedures. delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. If string does not contain a directory component, returns indicating the cur- rent working directory. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of string and, in the case of basename, suffix as single and/or multi-byte characters. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, and behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following shell script, invoked with the argument compiles the named file and moves the output to a file named in the current direc- tory: The following example sets the shell variable to RETURN VALUE
and return one of the following values: Successful completion. Incorrect number of command-line arguments. SEE ALSO
expr(1), sh(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
basename(1)