Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Bash shell: Cutting pasting only parts of the name of a directory into a variable Post 302406912 by ABE2202 on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 07:07:27 AM
Old 03-24-2010
thank you very much, of course your code was very helpful Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting characters in a variable

I have a variable var which contains "ABCDEFDH" Now I have to remove the first 4 characters that is "ABCD" so my variable should contain only "DEFH" plzz tell me how to do that . i am using bash shell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cynosure2009
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any shell scripts for cutting and pasting part of data?

Hi, I have a tab-delimited txt file as below. It is part of the original file. I want to cut the lines starting with "3" in column1 and paste them before the lines starting with "1" in column 1. So I will get Anyone knows any simple shell scripts to do that? The original file is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cliffyiu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spliting bash string into parts

Hello, let's say I have this string: string1="A\nB\nC D E\nFG\nH"; How can I split it so as to take every string separated with '\n' separately? For example, as for $string1, it would be split into string1_part1="A" string1_part2="B" string1_part3="C D E" string1_part4="FG"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Q] cutting from one column and pasting to another

I have a file laid out in columns with the first two lines line being: 219 432 4567 219 432 4587 I need to create a single line command to cut the characters in the 5th column and paste them back to the first column in the same file. (Hint:Two good solutions exist, one in which you use a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcampos7
9 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash shell - Check if value is valid directory.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The script usage will be as follows: library.third source_directory - Your script will display an appropriate error message and exit with status 3 if no parameters are given - Your script will display an appropriate error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting two files in every directory (+100 directories)

Hi, I have around 400 directories each one named as hour_1/ , hour_2/ .....hour_400/ and each of these contains two files, namely: File1: hour_1.txt (in hour_1/) , hour_2.txt (in hour_2/) ....hour_400.txt (in hour_400/) etc... File2: client_list_hour_1.txt (in hour_1/),... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string and storing it in a variable

Hello I have a script: path=test1 echo "${path%?}" till this the program is successful in deleting hte last character i.e. "1" and displays an output --> test. After this how can i save this output to another variable. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishore920
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a column and pasting its number

Hello Gurus, This is my first ever post here. I tried looking for similar material but came up empty handed. Apologies if this is too verbose or if I'm not using the correct formatting. I have files containing a fixed number of elements per line; separator is a single space. Each line has the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdroid
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate a hash variable into 2 parts in Perl

Dear Perl users/experts, Could somebody help me how to solve my problem, I have a hash variable that I want to convert into dot file (graphviz). I know how to convert it to dot file but I need some modification on the output of the hash variable before convert it to dot file. Eeach key of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: askari
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date/Time parts to variable as integer

Hi Guys, i guess there is a several ways to grub the strings from date and time like THISMONTH='/bin/date +%m' but the hard part is to add or sub that string to a variable i tried to use let command TWOMONTHSAGO=$THISMONTH declare -i TWOMONTHSAGO let TWOMONTHSAGO-=2 but there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CyR0iz4l1v3
1 Replies
CD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     CD(1)

NAME
cd -- change working directory SYNOPSIS
cd directory DESCRIPTION
Directory is an absolute or relative pathname which becomes the new working directory. The interpretation of a relative pathname by cd depends on the CDPATH environment variable (see below). ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of cd: CDPATH If the directory operand does not begin with a slash (/) character, and the first component is not dot (.) or dot-dot (..), cd searches for the directory relative to each directory named in the CDPATH variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current directory. If the new working directory was derived from CDPATH, it will be printed to the standard output. HOME If cd is invoked without arguments and the HOME environment variable exists and contains a directory name, that directory becomes the new working directory. See csh(1) for more information on environment variables. The cd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), sh(1), chdir(2) STANDARDS
The cd command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD