Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving characters instead of fields with awk Post 302406127 by kurumi on Monday 22nd of March 2010 05:01:24 AM
Old 03-22-2010
Code:
sed 's/[ \t]*$//;s/\(.*\) \([^ \t]*\)$/\2\1/' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding field to file and moving the last 2 fields

I have a file with 32 fields each separated by ‘|”. I need to add a file date exactly in the format “ "20100120" “ as the 32nd field moving the existing 32nd field to 33. so the field I added should be 32nd and the 33rd field is the last field before I added the file date. I know we can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding and moving files based on the last three numerical characters in the filename

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190, all in one directory. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999. I need to move some of them to a seperate directory, the ones I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields comparing 4 fields using awk

Hi All, I am looking for an awk script to do the following Join the fields together only if the first 4 fields are same. Can it be done with join function in awk?? a,b,c,d,8,,, a,b,c,d,,7,, a,b,c,d,,,9, a,b,p,e,8,,, a.b,p,e,,9,, a,b,p,z,,,,9 a,b,p,z,,8,, desired output: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aksijain
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - compare 1st 15 fields of record with 20 fields

I'm trying to compare 2 files for differences in a selct number of fields. When differnces are found it will write the whole record of the second file including appending '|C' out to a delta file. Each record will have 20 fields, but only want to do comparison of 1st 15 fields. The 1st field of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sljnk
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving fields

Hello I have a file with this content ============================================================= 1, Het Juvenalis dilemma, Digital fortress, 1998 2, Het Bernini mysterie, Angels & demons, 2000 3, De Delta deceptie, Deception point, 2001 4, De Da Vinci code, The Da... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removinf newline characters in first 62 fields

Hi All, I receive a | delimited text file containing 63 columns. There is no delimiter at the end of the 63rd field, instead there would be a newline character at the end of the text in 63rd column. I wanted to retain this newline character at the end of the 63rd column, as it is desired newline... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with replacing characters without moving the spaces.

Could you please advise what is the best way to edit a file without disrupting the spaces? For example: I have within my file the value below, wherein I wanted to change VALUE2 to VALUETEST. The total characters on the field of VALUE2 is 15 characters. VALUE1|VALUE2<9 spaces>|VALUE3 but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
3 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)