Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pass variable to sed like in awk (-v switch) Post 302405973 by kshji on Sunday 21st of March 2010 05:19:53 AM
Old 03-21-2010
Here is generic method to use dynamic templates.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh or bash or ...
parse_file()
{
 eval echo  "\"$(cat $1 | sed 's+\"+\\"+g'   )\""
}

###########
replace=newvalue
export replace
parse_file sed1.sed  > $$.tmp
sed -f $$.tmp sed1.txt
rm -f $$.tmp 2>/dev/null

sed1.sed file
Code:
s/$replace/replaced/g

If you have only a sed rule, use something like this
Code:
rule="${res}s/$/(-,$name,time2change.co.uk)/"
sed -e "$rule" somefile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass variable to sed?

Hi there. If variables are named inside of a ksh script, how is it possible to pass these to sed? The affected portion of my script goes something like this: A=`cut -d. -f1 $FILE` B=`cut -d. -f2 $FILE` C=`cut -d. -f3 $FILE` sed 's/1111/$A/g;s/2222/$B/g;s/3333/$C/g' file > anotherfile ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pass variable to awk

i would like to pass a variable to awk wherein the variable comes from external loop. i tried this... let x=0 until test $x -eq 32 do cat file | awk '{ print $1 , "Number" , $($x) }' >> output done thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable to Awk ?

I am trying to pass 2 shell variable's ("START" and "END") define earlier in the script to this awk statement, but i can't seem to pass it on. PLs help. set START = xxxx set END = yyyy set selected_file = `awk '/$START/,/$END/' filename` (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
24 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I pass a variable to awk?

I have an awk statement where I Need to pass an environment variable but I cannot get it to work: My evironment varible examples below: $FILE1=/dev/fs/file.new $FILE2=/dev/fs/file.old Code below: awk -F"|" ' BEGIN { while( getline < "$FILE1" ) { arr=1 } } arr != 1 { print } '... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: eja
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass a variable to sed p in a loop?

Hi, Thanks for looking,,,, (kornshell) tmp3 is a list of line numbers I want to print the lines from my list code: while read j do echo $j #works fine echo $filename #works fine #sed "'$jp'" "$filename" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnMario
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass perl variable to sed

Hello, I'd like to pass a variable to a sed command in a perl script. The script is like this : #!/usr/bin/perl -w $newline="new"; system q(sed '/insert/ i\ '$newline <sed1.txt >sed2.txt); But the interpretor wouldn't recognize $newline, it inserts a "\n" instead. I've also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi_ryo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh variable pass to awk

I'm trying to store the response from a nawk command inside of a ksh script. The command is: text=$(nawk -F: '$1 ~ /${imgArray}/ {print $2}' ${etcDir}/captions.txt) From what I can tell, the imgArray variable is not being expanding when it is inside the single quote ('). Is there something I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meman1188
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass an awk variable to kill

Does anyone know of a way to do something similar to this with awk and kill? I want to create the variable in awk and pass that variable to kill. ps -ef | grep -i chromium | awk '{$2=x}' | kill -9 $x 2>/dev/null (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

pass a variable line number to sed

num=10 sed -n '$num p' test.txt sed -n '10 p' test.txt works however i am putting the sed command in a loop and the line number is not static Can someone please help me how to achive this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figure20012
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)