Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed : replace space and end-of-line Post 302405675 by durden_tyler on Friday 19th of March 2010 01:14:24 PM
Old 03-19-2010
Code:
$
$ cat f1
a b c
d e
$
$ cat f1.sh
#!/bin/bash
i=0
while read line
do
fam="H`printf "%06d" $i`"
echo $line | sed -e "s/$/\t$fam/g" -e "s/ /\t$fam\n/g"
i=$(($i+1))
done < $1
$
$ . f1.sh f1
a       H000000
b       H000000
c       H000000
d       H000001
e       H000001
$
$

tyler_durden

And using Perl:

Code:
$
$ cat f1
a b c
d e
$
$ perl -plne 'chomp; $x=sprintf("H%06d",$.); s/ /\t$x\n/g; s/$/\t$x/g' f1
a       H000001
b       H000001
c       H000001
d       H000002
e       H000002
$
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to see space, tab, end of the line chracters

what can I use ?? In vi, I can use :set list <-- and see end of line $.. or use cat -A but I am wondering if there is command or program that allows me to see all the hidden characters( space, tab and etc) Please help thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can I read the space in the end of line

cat file1|while read i do echo "$i"|wc done with this command the space in the end of the line not considered how can solve that for example: read h "hgyr " echo "$h"|wc 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ehab
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space, that is not in html tags <> with new line using sed

Hi, I am working on transforming html code text into the .vert text format. I want to use linux utility sed. I have this regexp which should do the work: s/ \(?!*>\)/\n/g. I use it like this with sed: echo "you <we try> there" | sed 's/ \(?!*>\)/\n/g' ... The demanded output should be: you <we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt1311
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space to the end of a line with sed

Im trying to add 5 blank spaces to the end of each line in a file in a sed script. I can figure out who o put the spaces pretty much anywhere else but at the end. thanks Karl (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlanderson
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed replace space with new line

please help in making sed singleline command i need to insert dos new line (CR LF) before " 34 matching device(s) found on \\cpu1." " 6 matching device(s) found on \\cpu7." " 102 matching device(s) found on \\mainserver." the problem is that sometimes there are both CR LF before strings and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xserg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace new line ( \n ) with space or Tab in Sed

Hi, how to replace new line with tab in sed ... i used sed -e 's/\n/\t/g' <filename > but its not working (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace end of line with a space

for eg: i have i/p file as: ================ i wnt to change end of line ================= my require ouput is like: i wnt to change end of line ==================== (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Add space at the end of each line in linux

hi,. I am writing a small script in csh... Can any one tel me how to add space at end of each line in a file (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manju87
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple sed question - replace from phrase to end of line

I have the following line an in input file I want to digest with sed and simple replace the bold part with a variable defined in my bash script. I can do this in several sed operations but I know there must be a way to do it in a single sed line. What is the syntax? Line in file:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: graysky
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies
Msgcat(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       Msgcat(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Msgcat - Perl extension for blah blah blah SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Msgcat; $cat = new Locale::Msgcat; $rc = $cat->catopen(name, oflag); $msg = $cat->catgets(set_number, message_number, string); $rc = $cat->catclose(); DESCRIPTION
The Locale::Msgcat module allows access to the message catalog functions which are available on some systems. A new Locale::Msgcat object must first be created for each catalog which has to be open at a given time. The catopen operation opens the catalog whose name is given as argument. The oflag can be either 0 or NL_CAT_LOCALE (usually 1) which is the recommended value. The catgets message retrieves message_number for the set_number message set, and if not found returns string. The catclose function should be used when access to a catalog is not needed anymore. EXAMPLES
use Locale::Msgcat; $cat = new Locale::Msgcat; unless ($cat->catopen("whois.cat", 1)) { print STDERR "Can't open whois catalog. "; exit(1); } printf "First message, first set : %s ", $cat->catgets(1, 1, "not found"); unless ($cat->catclose()) { print STDERR "Can't close whois catalog. "; exit(1); } The above example would print the first message from the first message set found in the whois catalog, or if not found it would print "not found". AUTHOR
Christophe Wolfhugel, wolf@pasteur.fr SEE ALSO
catopen(3), catclose(3), catgets(3), perl(1). perl v5.14.2 1999-11-15 Msgcat(3pm)