Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a file (one record) in a SHL script Post 302404520 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 05:57:12 PM
Old 03-16-2010
what is the EOF is doing there... all by itself

Code:
file_number=$( < /u02/sct/banner/bandev2/xxxxx/misc/EFTSQL.dat)

does it. no exec or anything else required.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shl script capture a file

need to be able to capture a file with the following conditions: The filenames are, for example, 3526_332840.dat, where 3526 is constant, and 332840 is a sequential number which is always a couple hundred greater than the previous day's file. I want to be able to change this script to acoomplish... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in reading a record from the file

Hi Guys, I need to check whether the last column is RP, If so, then i have to second column and pass it to a select statement as sonid and fetch the value to a variable and run it. This has to be done till the last column is RW. value Fatherid sonid topid ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

This code works in the command line but not in a shl script

When I run this code from the command line works spinel.middlebury.edu:/u02/sct/banner/bandev2/middlebury/shl:DEV2$ ls ef* eftseq.dat spinel.middlebury.edu:/u02/sct/banner/bandev2/middlebury/shl:DEV2$ file_seq=$( < eftseq.dat) ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter record from a file reading another file

Hi, I want to filter record from a file if the records in the second column matches the data in another file. I tried the below awk command but it filters the records in the filter file. I want the opposite, to include only the records in the filter file. I tried this: awk -F'|'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

last file in a directory in a shl script

I want to capture a last file in a directory in a shl scrip Cd to the directory $last ls -1 *the_bills.dat* | tail -1 This is not problem, but I need to copy that file to another directory, but in order to be able to copy to that directory, I need to su in unix, I am sure my sistem... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip and encrypted in a shl script

After I move the file to a directory, I need to gzip and encrypted. I never do this in a shl script, I do it from the command line and it works.. cd /home/nelnet spinel:/home/nelnet$ gpg -e 2010_11_07_05_11_xxxxxx_bills.dat.gz `/home/nelnet/.gnupg/gpg.conf' `/home/nelnet/.gnupg/gpg.conf'... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to decrypt a file in a directory (SHL script)

I need to decrypt a file in a directory, I need to write a shl scrip & cron job How I find the files in the directory: the file is like this: dailypayments_sfs_payment_201011151800.dat -d The decrypt command: gpg -o dailypayments_sfs_payment_201011151800.dat -d 20101115 (the date... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems coping a file in a shl script

I have the following in a shl script: SCRIPT_PATH="/u01/app/banner/test/skid/plus/"; FILE_PATH="/nfs/mercury/u03/banner/test/skid/log"; LIST_FILE_PATH="/u01/banjobs/TEST"; SCRIPT_NAME="szpcal1.sql"; FILE_NAME='new_applicant_list'; I want to copy the file FILE_NAME to LIST_FILE_PATH ... (10 Replies)
10 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD