Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Remove repetitive alphabets Post 302404496 by msalam65 on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 04:12:01 PM
Old 03-16-2010
Thanks Tyler. This worked but I need to take out the entire word that is -Z<number>. In the above case it is leaving the words after cleaning up -Z<number>. For example.

Code:
Input : 
IBM -Z12X Corporation

Current Output : 
IBM X Corporation

Expected Output : 
IBM Corporation

Please advise.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repetitive Tasks

Could someone tell me how I can simplify the script that follows!!! I know that there must be a way how to grep Average from sar01.................. sar02 ....................... sar03....................... sar04... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JairGuerra
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting only Alphabets from a value

Hi, I have file name (abcd001). I want to extract on the alphabets from this file name. I don't want the numeric part of it. Once i extract the alphabets the i can search for all those file. Could anyone help on this. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting the last 2 alphabets in the words

Hi Guys, Bit new to Unix shell scripting so this question might seems little kiddish for you. what im trying to achieve here is : I have file which is compressed like Account_52320090605076_log.Z so in my shell script i call this file also as one of my parameters like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolrekz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for Alphabets

echo -n "read this also:" read NewAuthor if ]' ) ] ; then echo "its a digit" else echo "something else" fi Hey guys , i am trying to do a search to check if the input is using alphabets and nothing else. I tried using ] and ] but none seems to work When i use digit, it read 22.k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter certain number of alphabets

filter the ones (ex:>1279_17_27_F3) that have 50letters (ABABABACACACACACAADADADADABABABABAACACACACACACAACAC) in input. And others that are less than 50 have to be ignore and the ones with more than 50 have to trimmed to first 50 letters. Thanx >1279_16_1960_F3 A >1279_16_2010_F3 BCCC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruby_sgp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter unique alphabets

Filter unique alphabets (bold) from input Thanx +SRR015270.1 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:653:875 length=32 SZZZZZZZZZZZZXZZZXZZZOECZZIZHUEM +SRR015270.2 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:455:450 length=32 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT @SRR015270.3 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:453:499 length=32... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print combinations of alphabets in a sequence

Hi Friends, I have a series of alphabets like this AGCAA The values inside the square brace indicate that either of them can be present at that position. And those ones without a brace, means that they are the only ones that could be printed at that location. Now, I would like to know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace alphabets from certain positions

Hi all, I have column 2 full of values like HIVE4A-56 and HIVE4-56. I want to convert all values like HIVE4A-56 to HIVE4-56. So basically I want to delete all single alphabets before the '-' which is always preceded by a number. Values already in the desired format should remain unchanged... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ames1983
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove repetitive lines in a file with sed?

Hello, My goal is the make all x times repeated lines into a single line. I need to attain the expected output with sed -i , I need to overwrite the MyFile MyFile: Hello World Welcome Hello World Welcome Back This is my test Expected output: Hello World Welcome Welcome Back This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
gd_bof(3)							      GETDATA								 gd_bof(3)

NAME
gd_bof -- report the start of data in a field SYNOPSIS
#include <getdata.h> off_t gd_bof(DIRFILE *dirfile, const char *field_code); DESCRIPTION
The gd_bof() function queries a dirfile(5) database specified by dirfile and returns the sample number of the beginning-of-field marker for the vector field given by field_code. The caller should not assume that the beginning-of-field marker falls on a frame boundary. The beginning-of-field marker is never nega- tive. For a RAW field, the beginning-of-field corresponds to the frame offset of that field (see gd_frameoffset(3)). The beginning-of-field for all other vector field type is the same as the beginning-of-field of whichever of its input fields that starts latest. The beginning-of- field marker for the special field INDEX is always zero. The beginning-of-field marker for a field containing no data is in the same location as, or after, its end-of-field marker (see gd_eof(3)). For a RAW field, the difference between the locations of the beginning- and end-of-field markers indicates the number of samples of data actually stored on disk. The dirfile argument must point to a valid DIRFILE object previously created by a call to gd_open(3). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, gd_bof() returns the sample number of the end-of-field marker for the indicated field. On error, it returns -1 and sets the dirfile error to a non-zero error value. Possible error values are: GD_E_BAD_CODE The field specified by field_code or one of the fields it uses as input was not found in the database. GD_E_BAD_DIRFILE The supplied dirfile was invalid. GD_E_BAD_REPR The representation suffix specified in field_code, or in one of its inputs was not recognised. GD_E_DIMENSION A scalar field was found where a vector field was expected in the definition of field_code or one of its inputs, or else field_code itself specified a scalar field. GD_E_RECURSE_LEVEL Too many levels of recursion were encountered while trying to resolve field_code. This usually indicates a circular dependency in field specification in the dirfile. The dirfile error may be retrieved by calling gd_error(3). A descriptive error string for the last error encountered can be obtained from a call to gd_error_string(3). SEE ALSO
dirfile(5), dirfile-encoding(5), gd_open(3), gd_eof(3), gd_error(3), gd_error_string(3), gd_nframes(3) Version 0.7.0 15 October 2010 gd_bof(3)