Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 failsafe can not mount root Post 302404320 by dshakey on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 08:37:30 AM
Old 03-16-2010
Solaris 10 failsafe can not mount root

i have a major problem, i renamed the ld.so.1 file.
so i want to reboot into single user mode / fail safe / cdrom single user but i will not mount the root disk.

if i look in /dev/dsk all i see is ide disks (cdrom) and no actual disks.

Last edited by dshakey; 03-18-2010 at 07:50 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a hotswap scsi drive on a solaris 2.6 netra box using the mount command?

Hi... question is this: How do I mount an LVD hotswap scsi drive in bay #2 on a netra using the mount command? volmgt doesn't seem to mount it and/or I don't know how to view the drives data if it's formatted which it may not be. This drive is not new out of the box so I'm not sure. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulshaker
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unixware 7.1.3 can't mount root

please help me about unixware 7.1.3 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- msg: vfs_mountroot:cannot mount root %%%%%% system don't start (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hushboy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to mount disk for non-root accounts?

I have a USB disk on a little NAS controller (NSLU2 running unslung 6.8) that I can access nicely with root with mount -t cifs \\\\10.134.23.23\\DISK\ 2 /mnt/LKGD7F73A However, when I run emacs from an user mode xterm prompt, emacs cannot read and write the files on /mnt/LKGD7F73A. Emacs can... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
11 Replies

4. BSD

Mount root warning message

I see the following warning message during the boot sequence of any FreeBSD machine on stock hardware: acd0: FAILURE: READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x64 ascq=0x00 Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad6s1 What does this mean and is it really a warning or something that should be fixed? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. Hardware

Cannot mount root - Panic

Hi Guys, I just tried to reboot my server, but it seems to be panicing and unable to mount the root disk. The filesystem is supposed to be ufs, so im not sure why its talking about vfs. At the moment it's just stuck in a loop of Reboot-panic-reboot. Any ideas? A. SunOS Release 5.10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-Train
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to mount in failsafe mode in Solaris 10

Hi, A server is running solaris 10. From the OK prompt, I have used the command 'boot -F failsafe' and here I am trying to mount a remote directory using the command: #mount 10.238.233.13:/export/home/ssuser /tmp/mnt but i dont get any response for sometime and then it shows the error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tayyab101
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris failsafe - what is it ?

Hi all, Tried googling what is solaris failsafe, but results from oracle only show how to use it, but not what is it Can any kind soul here shed some light or point me to some documentation ? Do we need to install failsafe during the OS installation ? is failsafe located on the same disk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 Failsafe mode advantages and disadvantages

Hi Guys, Have you tried running Solaris 10 on Failsafe mode? What are their advantages and disadvantages? What would you recommend for a roll-back plan in case something happens after failsafe mode? I need to run on failsafe mode to be able to execute fsck. Appreciate your kind... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bocha
1 Replies
root_archive(1M)														  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2: Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)