Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to repair DNS
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to repair DNS Post 302404301 by timgolding on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 06:48:38 AM
Old 03-16-2010
How to repair DNS

I am using Mac OS X and my server keeps crashing every several hours or so. I have checked the log file at /var/log/system.log and the entries closest to the crash read

Code:
Mar 15 22:27:23 server servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no name available via DNS for 192.168.84.21
Mar 15 22:27:23 server servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no reverse DNS entry for server, various services may not function properly
Mar 15 22:57:23 server servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no name available via DNS for 192.168.84.21
Mar 15 22:57:23 server servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no reverse DNS entry for server, various services may not function properly

So maybe this is causing the crash? So now I am trying to figure out how to fix the reverse DNS. I ran the following command from terminal.

Code:
sudo changeip -checkhostname

it returns the following

Code:
Primary address     = 192.168.84.21

Current HostName    = server.domainwise.com

The DNS hostname is not available, please repair DNS and re-run this tool.

I dont really know how to change the DNS hostname. Can anyone help?
I tried the following:

running the command
Code:
changeip /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 192.168.84.21 192.168.84.21 server.domainwise.com server.domainwise.com

Adding the following to /etc/hosts
Code:
192.168.84.21   server.domainwise.com

I've been googling like crazy but still found no answeres? Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with oracle repair script

I have a problem. I am attempting to create a repair script for oracle that will read in a print file and perform a repair on an oracle database using the data in the print file. My restrictions are 1) each in list (items with-in parens) must be no more the 250 lines and the last item in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX mirroring repair

Hello colleagues! One day I found that a LV was not mirrored properly. Some manipulations were realized so the mirroring became well. Please look jpg attached, may be it would be useful for somebody. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaySky
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Where to get windows 7 iso file of repair?

I need to make a bootable usb of windows 7 repair disc iso file so that I can use it in case my system doesn't boot up. On net I am getting complete windows 7 OS iso but I need only the repair disc for making bootable iso. I am not sure whether I used right word by using the word disc here... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition

I have a 1TB HD, suspect it had bad sectors and blocks... it was pre-installed with windows 8.0.. I was able to boot up ubuntu and looked at the partitions and run a badblocks comand to verify secotors, after getting a serious of Input and Output errors mounting the partition and doing any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable - programmable DNS resolver class for offline emulation of DNS VERSION
0.003 SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable; use Net::DNS::RR; my $resolver = Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable->new( records => { 'example.com' => [ Net::DNS::RR->new('example.com. NS ns.example.org.'), Net::DNS::RR->new('example.com. A 192.168.0.1') ], 'ns.example.org' => [ Net::DNS::RR->new('ns.example.org. A 192.168.1.1') ] }, resolver_code => sub { my ($domain, $rr_type, $class) = @_; ... return ($result, $aa, @rrs); } ); DESCRIPTION
Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable is a Net::DNS::Resolver descendant class that allows a virtual DNS to be emulated instead of querying the real DNS. A set of static DNS records may be supplied, or arbitrary code may be specified as a means for retrieving DNS records, or even generating them on the fly. Constructor The following constructor is provided: new(%options): returns Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable Creates a new programmed DNS resolver object. %options is a list of key/value pairs representing any of the following options: records A reference to a hash of arrays containing a static set of Net::DNS::RR objects. The hash entries must be indexed by fully qualified domain names (lower-case, without any trailing dots), and the entries themselves must be arrays of the RR objects pertaining to these domain names. For example: records => { 'example.com' => [ Net::DNS::RR->new('example.com. NS ns.example.org.'), Net::DNS::RR->new('example.com. A 192.168.0.1') ], 'www.example.com' => [ Net::DNS::RR->new('www.example.com. A 192.168.0.2') ], 'ns.example.org' => [ Net::DNS::RR->new('ns.example.org. A 192.168.1.1') ] } If this option is specified, the resolver retrieves requested RRs from this data structure. resolver_code A code reference used as a call-back for dynamically retrieving requested RRs. The code must take the following query parameters as arguments: the domain, RR type, and class. It must return a list composed of: the response's RCODE (by name, as returned by Net::DNS::Header->rcode), the "aa" (authoritative answer) flag (boolean, use undef if you don't care), and the Net::DNS::RR answer objects. If an error string is returned instead of a valid RCODE, a Net::DNS::Packet object is not constructed but an error condition for the resolver is signaled instead. For example: resolver_code => sub { my ($domain, $rr_type, $class) = @_; ... return ($result, $aa, @rrs); } If both this and the "records" option are specified, then statically programmed records are used in addition to any that are returned by the configured resolver code. defnames dnsrch domain searchlist debug These Net::DNS::Resolver options are also meaningful with Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable. See Net::DNS::Resolver for their descriptions. Instance methods The following instance methods of Net::DNS::Resolver are also supported by Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable: search: returns Net::DNS::Packet query: returns Net::DNS::Packet send: returns Net::DNS::Packet Performs an offline DNS query, using the statically programmed DNS RRs and/or the configured dynamic resolver code. See the "new" constructor's "records" and "resolver_code" options. See the descriptions of search, query, and send for details about the calling syntax of these methods. print string: returns string searchlist: returns list of string defnames: returns boolean dnsrch: returns boolean debug: returns boolean errorstring: returns string answerfrom: returns string answersize: returns integer See "METHODS" in Net::DNS::Resolver. Currently the following methods of Net::DNS::Resolver are not supported: axfr, axfr_start, axfr_next, nameservers, port, srcport, srcaddr, bgsend, bgread, bgisready, tsig, retrans, retry, recurse, usevc, tcp_timeout, udp_timeout, persistent_tcp, persistent_udp, igntc, dnssec, cdflag, udppacketsize. The effects of using these on Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable objects are undefined. SEE ALSO
Net::DNS::Resolver For availability, support, and license information, see the README file included with Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable. AUTHORS
Julian Mehnle <julian@mehnle.net> perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable(3)