Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX system ,machine id , model name Explain ? Post 302404261 by rekha_sri on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 05:29:32 AM
Old 03-16-2010
Bug

uname -m - Displays the machine ID number of the hardware running the system.

uname -u - Displays the system ID number. If this attribute is not defined, the output is the same as the output displayed by uname -m.

uname -M - Displays the system model name. If the model name attribute does not exist, a null string is displayed.

bootinfo -m - It displays the machine model code.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

old unix machine at work model # wy-50

I was a tec at AT&T for 36 years and now work at a Doctor's office. We have the old unix unit in our office and it seems my keeps going out. Since, this was my line of work I want to repair this unit so I will not have to walk to the other office. Here is all the info off the unit which is just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marycarroll
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check the system model in linux?

is there any way to check what model and made is the linux box from command line like - it is virtual server or is it a physical manchine then what made it is (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
4 Replies

3. AIX

Determine power family of p system from the model #.

Folks, Again a very silly question :D Could someone tell me, how to determine the power family(540, 520, 575, 595 etc) just by looking into the model # info from prtconf/lsconf o/p of the lpar? I dont want run a search on any search engine to find out the power family or hit IBM website to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
3 Replies
UNAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  UNAME(3)

NAME
uname -- get system identification LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/utsname.h> int uname(struct utsname *name); DESCRIPTION
The uname() function stores nul-terminated strings of information identifying the current system into the structure referenced by name. The utsname structure is defined in the <sys/utsname.h> header file, and contains the following members: sysname Name of the operating system implementation. nodename Network name of this machine. release Release level of the operating system. version Version level of the operating system. machine Machine hardware platform. RETURN VALUES
If uname is successful, 0 is returned, otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
The uname() function may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions sysctl(3). SEE ALSO
uname(1), sysctl(3) STANDARDS
The uname() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The uname function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
March 30, 2011 BSD