Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: why sudo doesn't work?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers why sudo doesn't work? Post 302404189 by cqlouis on Monday 15th of March 2010 10:42:01 PM
Old 03-15-2010
You are correct.
But if I want to use command sudo cd /root ,
how do I use the full path of command cd?
Code:
[test@manager proc]$ whereis cd
cd: /usr/share/man/man1/cd.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1p/cd.1p.gz /usr/share/man/mann/cd.n.gz

I cann't know the full path of cd Smilie

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -d doesn't work on Solaris

Hello, the ls -d command to only list directories in a directory doesn't seem to work on Solaris and the man command says to use that combination: ls -d Anyone have the same problem and find a resolve? Thanks BobK (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition doesn't work

i want to get the value for column 4rth when i =4. please guide what i am doing wrong. thanks var=`cat file.csv` for i in $var; do { if ; then var4=$var4+$i fi echo $i } done I am geting this error message "0403-009 The specified number is not valid for this command." (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo doesn't work right

Hi,when I run my first shell script,I got something that doesn't work right. I wrote this code in the script. echo -e "Hello,World\a\n"But the screen print like this: -e Hello,World The "-e" wasn't supposed to be printed out. Can anyone help me out?:wall: Many thanks!:) (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon
25 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

My if statement doesn't work why?

I have the following and for some reason I can't have two options together. I mean if I choose -u and -p it won't work... why? #!/bin/bash resetTime=1 mytotalTime=0 totalHour=0 totalMin=0 averagemem=0 finalaverage=0 times=0 function usage() { cat << EOF USAGE: $0 file EOF } (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Sudo doesn't work

I edited sudoers like this:vi /etc/sudoers subex ALL =(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/ccs/bin/pstack But the respective user still is prompted for password, and even when the right password is used, the command is still not launched.$sudo usr/ccs/bin/pstack 26557 We trust you have received the usual... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit 1 doesn't work

Hi tail -f $PROGPATH/NBU_pgbaserestore_$1.log | while read LOGLINE do if ] && ! ] then date "+%d.%B.%Y %H:%M:%S" echo "ERROR: NBU" echo "$LOGLINE" TAILKILL=$(pgrep -P $$ -x tail) kill -9 $TAILKILL exit 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvaikla
3 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

NAME
whereis - Locates files for programs SYNOPSIS
whereis [-bms] [-u] [-BMS directory... -f] program... The whereis command locates source, binary, and/or reference page files for the specified program program. OPTIONS
The -b, -m, and -s options can be used in combination to restrict the search. Searches for an executable program. Searches for the refer- ence page for a program. Searches for the sources of a program. Use the -B, -M, and -S options to change or limit the places whereis searches. Specifies the binary directories to search. Specifies the reference page directories to search. Specifies the source directories to search. The other options that can be used with whereis are as follows: Terminates the last directory list and signals the start of program names. Used with other options to indicate when there is no file for program in the default or specified directory or directories (source, binary, or reference page). DESCRIPTION
The whereis program locates source, binary, and reference pages for the specified programs. When looking for a match, the program names are stripped of leading pathname components and any trailing extensions of the form (for example, s. resulting from the use of the Source Code Control System see sccs(1), are also handled. The default directories searched by the whereis command are as follows: /etc /etc/nls /sbin /usr/bin /usr/lbin /usr/lbin/spell /usr/ccs/lib /usr/lib /usr/local /usr/hosts /usr/sbin EXAMPLES
To find files matching cat in the default source, binary, and reference directories, enter: whereis cat To search for reference pages for app13 in the directory /usr/local/man, enter: whereis -M /usr/local/man -f -f appl3 To find the programs in /usr/bin that do not have ref- erence pages in /usr/share/man/man1 with source files in /usr/src/cmd, enter: whereis -u -M /usr/share/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f /usr/bin/* To find which files in the current directory either have no reference pages in the default reference directories or have more than one, enter: whereis -m -u * FILES
Default binary directories. Default binary directories. Default reference directories. Default source directories. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), find(1), man(1), which(1), catman(8) whereis(1)