Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print folder size ordered by pattern value of specific file type :-) ! challenge ! Post 302404078 by holister on Monday 15th of March 2010 01:24:09 PM
Old 03-15-2010
Print folder size ordered by pattern value of specific file type :-) ! challenge !

Hello dear unix command line friends !

I'm looking for a simple combinaison of ls & awk (maybe grep) to print:
list of folders of a directory
|_ ordered by size

like what I have with
Code:
$ du -sk ./* | sort -rn

printing that result:
Code:
8651520 ./New Virtual Machine_1
8389120 ./Redhat

then
I would like to have, instead or concatenated of the folder name the content of a specific line in a specific file type in the folder
like what I have with
Code:
$ cat ./New\ Virtual\ Machine_1/*.vmx | grep displayName
$ cat ./Redhat/*.vmx | grep displayName

that prints
Code:
displayName = "Redhat 5.4"
displayName = "Redhat"

I think of something like passing in my 2nd cat command the list of folder from a simple
Code:
ls -1

But all of that, simple, in one line ... using awk ?
Don't kwow....

And I know something else, I'm sure, for someone who get used, that it's quite easy with knowledge Smilie

please... Smilie

Best final result would be:
Code:
8651520;New Virtual Machine_1;Redhat 5.4
8389120;Redhat;Redhat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the size of tar,Z,gz type file.

Hi, How to get the size of the .tar file .Z file .gz file. Please help me what command i need to use in shell scripting :( Regards, Kalai (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print rows, having pattern in specific column...

Hello all, :) I have a pattern file some what like this, cd003 cd005 cd007 cd008 and input file like this, abc cd001 cd002 zca bca cd002 cd003 cza cba cd003 cd004 zca bac cd004 cd005 zac cba cd005 cd006 acz acb cd006 cd007 caz cab cd007 ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
25 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print out specific pattern column data

Input file: adc_0123 haa_1000 bcc_520 adc_0150 bcc_290 adc_0112 haa_8000 adc_0139 haa_7000 Output file: adc_0123 adc_0123 haa_1000 bcc_520 adc_0150 adc_0150 bcc_290 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy specific file.txt in specific folder?

hye there... i have a problem to copy file in specific folder that will change the name according to host,time(%m%s) and date(%Y%M%D) example folder name: host_20100531.154101801 this folder name will always change... but i just want to copy the AAA.txt and BBB.txt file.. really need... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: annetote
17 Replies

6. Programming

Print specific pattern line in c++

Input file: @HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC +HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 TNTTJTTTETceJSP__VRJea`_NfcefbWe Desired output file: >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Detect Specific Pattern and Print the Specific String after It?

I'm still beginner and maybe someone can help me. I have this input: the great warrior a, b, c and what i want to know is, with awk, how can i detect the string with 'warrior' string on it and print the a, b, and c seperately, become like this : Warrior Type a b c Im still very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radynaraya
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

look for file size greater than "0" of specific pattern and move those to another directory

Hi , i have some files of specific pattern ...i need to look for files which are having size greater than zero and move those files to another directory.. Ex... abc_0702, abc_0709, abc_782 abc_1234 ...etc need to find out which is having the size >0 and move those to target directory..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print record not equal specific pattern

how to use "awk" to print any record has pattern not equal ? for example my file has 5 records & I need to get all lines which $1=10 or 20 , $2=10 or 20 and $3 greater than "130302" as it shown : 10 20 1303252348212B030 20 10 1303242348212B030 40 34 1303252348212B030 10 20 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all lines between two keyword if a specific pattern exist

I have input file as below I need to check for a pattern and if it is there in file then I need to print all the lines below BEGIN and END keyword. Could you please help me how to get this in AIX using sed or awk. Input file: ABC ******** BEGIN ***** My name is Amit. I am learning unix.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
8 Replies
FLIST(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								  FLIST(1)

NAME
flist, flists - list the number of messages in given sequence(s) SYNOPSIS
flist [+folder1 [+folder2 ...]] [-sequence name1 [-sequence name2 ...]] [-all | -noall] [-showzero | -noshowzero] [-recurse | -norecurse] [-fast | -nofast] [-alpha | -noalpha] [-version] [-help] flists is equivalent to flist -all DESCRIPTION
Flist is used to search a list of folders and display the number of messages in these folders that are in a given sequence or set of sequences (for example the "unseen" sequence). This is especially useful if you use some mechanism such as slocal or procmail (typically in conjunction with rcvstore) to pre-sort your mail into different folders before you view it. By default, the command flist will search the current folder for the given sequence or sequences (usually "unseen"). If (possibly multi- ple) folders are specified on the command line with +folder, then all these folders are searched for the given sequence(s). Flist will display for each folder searched, the number of messages in each of the specified sequences, and the total number of messages. The option -sequence is used to specify the name of a sequence in which to search for. This option may be used multiple times to specify multiple sequences. If this is not given, then the default is to search for all the sequences specified by the "Unseen-Sequence" profile component. For more details about sequences, read the mh-sequence(5) man page. Typically, flist will produce a line for each sequence, for every folder that is searched, even those which do not contain any messages in the given sequence. Specifying -noshowzero will cause flist to print only those folder/sequence combinations such the folder has a non- zero number of messages in the given specified sequence. If -recurse is given, then for each folder that is search, flist will also recursively descend into those folders to search subfolders for the given sequence. If -fast is given, only the names of the folders searched will be displayed, and flist will suppress all other output. If this option is used in conjunction with -noshowzero, then flist will only print the names of those folders searched that contain messages in in at least one of the specified sequences. Multiple Folders If the option -all is given (and no folders are specified with +folder), then flist will search all the folders in the top level of the users nmh directory. These folders are all preceded by the read-only folders, which occur as "atr-cur-" entries in the user's nmh context. An example of the output of flist -all is: /work/Mail has 5 in sequence unseen (private); out of 46 inbox+ has 10 in sequence unseen ; out of 153 junklist has 0 in sequence unseen ; out of 63 postmaster has 1 in sequence unseen ; out of 3 The "+" after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The "private" flag indicates that the given sequence for that folder is private. See the mh-sequence(5) man page for details about private sequences. If the option -all and +folder are both specified, then flist will search this folder, and all its first level subfolders for the given sequence. You may specify multiple folders in this way. If flist is invoked by a name ending with "s" (e.g. flists), then the switch -all is assumed by default. The sorting order for the listing is alphabetical (with -alpha), or in a priority order defined by the "Flist-Order" profile entry (with -noalpha). Each item in the "Flist-Order" is a folder name or a folder name pattern that uses * to match zero or more characters. Longer matching patterns have precedence over shorter matching patterns. For example: Flist-Order: personal petproject mh* * admin *junk This order puts a few interesting folders first, such as those with mail addressed to you personally, those about a pet project, and those about mh-related things. It places uninteresting folders at the end, and it puts everything else in the middle in alphabetical order. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory mh-sequences: File that contains public sequences Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence Flist-Order: To sort folders by priority SEE ALSO
folder(1), rcvstore(1), slocal(1), mh-sequence(5) DEFAULTS
`-sequence' defaults to Unseen-Sequence profile entry `-showzero' `-noall' `-norecurse' `-noalpha' `-nofast' CONTEXT
If +folder is given, it will become the current folder. If multiple folders are given, the last one specified will become the current folder. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 FLIST(1)