Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script for grepping status
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for grepping status Post 302403689 by jderickt on Sunday 14th of March 2010 12:09:39 AM
Old 03-14-2010
Script for grepping status

I'm a newb so please be kind. I'm trying to write a script to check the status of a program running on a vncserver to know whether or not it has ended and if I need to restart the server. Here's what I've got and please I am a self taught scripter:

if [ ps ax | grep xterm | awk '{print $5}' = "xterm" ] then
serv-restart
fi

I've been searching and am not quite sure how to make work. Any hints or pointers is extremely appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't open status file /var/samba/STATUS.LCK

I believe i have most of samba configured right but i get this error each time time try to run it. I was given suggestion that i touch the file, i did, but i still cannot rid myself of this error. Any suggestions (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Installing RedHat 8.0 onto Dell PowerEdge SC1425 - hdc: status error: status = 0x58

I have successfully installed RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 today. This server has two SATA hard drives, and an IDE DVD-ROM drive. Using the following kernel parameters, i successfully installed across both hard drives from CD: ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 vga=791 resolution=1024x768 expert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status of a command in nner script to the outer script?

Hi all, I have a shell script inside which i am executing another shell script. In the inner script im executing a command. i want the status of that command in the outer script to perform some validations. How to get its status please help!!1 Im using ksh. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loader Script Status

Hi I am running Sql Loader script in Unix Shell Script, I want to make shell script failure when Sql Loader script gives any warnings or failed. Please advise on this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cnrj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to email status

Hi, I have few processes in the server continuous run few jobs, each of the process will generate a log file which detailing when its jobs are completed. the logfile will has the name something like this, result1.log, result2.log, result3.log,.... result10.log, result11.log, result12.log.......... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output of script on screen and file with correct return status of the called script.

Hi, I am trying to capture logs of the script in the file as well as on the screen. I have used exec and tee command for this. While using exec command I am getting the correct output in the file but, script output is not getting displayed on the screen as it get executed. Below is my sample... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a script based on status of embedded script

Hi, I have 2 scripts, first.ksh and second.ksh and would like first.ksh to run based on response of 'Y/y' received for second.ksh but in my case it continues to execute 'rm /tmp/list' irrespective of response received, below are my scripts with further info, Hope I'm making sense :) Thanks! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbak
1 Replies

10. Programming

How to track table status delete/update/insert status in DB2 V10 z/os?

Dear Team I am using DB2 v10 z/os database . Need expert guidance to figure out best way to track table activities ( Ex Delete, Insert,Update ) Scenario We have a table which is critical and many developer/testing team access on daily basis . We had instance where some deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies
vncserver(1)							     TightVNC							      vncserver(1)

NAME
vncserver - a wrapper to launch an X server for VNC. SYNOPSIS
vncserver [:display] [-geometry widthxheight] [-depth depth] [-pixelformat rgbNNN|bgrNNN] [-name desktop-name] [Xvnc-options...] vncserver -kill :display vncserver -help DESCRIPTION
vncserver is a wrapper script for Xvnc, the free X server for VNC (Virtual Network Computing). It provides all capabilities of a standard X server, but does not connect to a display for itself. Instead, Xvnc creates a virtual desktop you can view or control remotely using a VNC viewer. OPTIONS
You can add Xvnc options at the command line. They will be added to the invocation of Xvnc without changes. The options provided by the vncserver itself are as follows: :display The display number to use. If omitted, the next free display number is used. -geometry widthxheight Set desktop width and height. -depth depth Set the colour depth of the visual to provide, in bits per pixel. Must be a value between 8 and 32. -pixelformat rgbNNN|bgrNNN Set colour format for pixels representation. The viewer can do the conversion to any other pixel format, but it is faster if the depth and pixel format of the server is the same as the equivalent values on the viewer display. -name string This specifies the name of the desktop. -kill :display Stops the session running on the specified display. -help Prints a short usage notice to stderr. EXAMPLES
vncserver Invokes Xvnc on the next available display and with suitable defaults. vncserver :1 Invokes Xvnc on display :1. vncserver -geometry 800x600 -depth 16 :1 Invokes Xvnc on display :1 with desktop size of 800x600 pixels and color depth of 16 bits per pixel. vncserver -kill :1 Shuts down Xvnc server on display :1. SEE ALSO
Xvnc(1), vncviewer(1), vncpasswd(1), vncconnect(1) AUTHORS
Original VNC was developed in AT&T Laboratories Cambridge. TightVNC additions were implemented by Constantin Kaplinsky. Many other people participated in development, testing and support. Man page authors: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>, Constantin Kaplinsky <const@tightvnc.com> August 2006 vncserver(1)