Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get the username if I know only the user's UID? Post 302402777 by tukuyomi on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 03:41:42 PM
Old 03-10-2010
Code:
$ grep 'UIDnumber' /etc/passwd

Is this OK?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User ID (UID) in AIX

what is the upper limit for UID is AIX 5.3 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX:creating user with username more than 8 chars

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuafs84
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NIS User UID Change

Hi All, I need to change the UID numbers of many NIS users, is there any command to modify the UID in NIS maps ? ( like usermod) so that their file permissions will be same even with their new UID. If not, how to check all the files owned by particular user in a computer and change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAA
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt over Uid and User name.

Hi, I know the uid and I wan to know the user name the uid belongs to. How can I get it. Suppose My user name is ssnayak and coresponding uid is 1110 Similarly I know one uid 1212 and how can I come to know the user name for this uid. Thanks & Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get username of last user to modify a file

Possible to get this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UID of user accounts on *nix systems

Hi, As the /etc/passwd file contents all system and other users accounts on a linux/unix system, can anyone tell me what is the User ID values range for human user accounts (not system user accounts) on a linux (Red Hat/SuSE etc) and Unix (Solaris) OS. I heard below number 100, all users are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps - list where UID is numeric or name and for current user

Hi, 'ps -ef' returns output of the following format UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 17573 1 0 Sep12 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6 hpsmh 18150 14864 0 Sep12 ? 00:00:00 /opt/hp/hpsmh/sbin/hpsmhd -DSSL -f /opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.conf root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

9. AIX

UID & GID instead of user name and group name

Hi Everyone, We are encountering the following issue on AIX 5.3. When we do ls -ltr the list displays only user id and group id instead of user name and group name. This is happening for all users except root. Whe we do ls -ltr with root user it shows perfectly fine. When we searched... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
25 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)