Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Format Money/Currency (U.S.)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Format Money/Currency (U.S.) Post 302402681 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 10:32:52 AM
Old 03-10-2010
Another way to print the thousands separator is to use the printf ' format flag. For example
Code:
$ var=123456.78
$ printf "$%'.2f\n" $var
$ $123,456.78

This method has the advantage of being locale-aware.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Currency Conversion

How can I use awk command to convert values to currency. For example I have a database like follows John:200 smith:300 kim:405 and want it to out put like this John $200.00 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions to check numbers with currency

Hi All I am struggling for the last one week on how to write a regular expression to search a number with currency (such as $ 1, 245, 000.00, Rs. 1, 00, 000.00 etc) but in vain . Please help me. Thanks in advance. -----Post Update----- Hi All I am struggling for the last one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintaining file currency

I have a common data folder with files like x* which is accessed by 3 unix servers. Now each server will try to pick one file form this folder and move it to its local folder. How to maintain file concurrency in this case?I dont want the same file to be accessed by more than one process. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf statement for currency conversion

hi all, I had my script as a=qw b=rter c=fdfd curency=1000 printf"${curency} $a $b $c" > filename can i have printf statement that can change the currency from 1000 to 1,000 like it should convert the number to currency format ..?(i.e for any number) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
14 Replies

5. Programming

Visual Basic converting a decimal data type to a label with currency format

Here is the code that I am working with. I have tried several other things. any suggestions? Lbl_Cost_Output.Text = (dDistance * dCostPerMile).ToString("C") The label is formatted correctly in terms of value 0.00 but no dollar sign appears. Please let me know if you have any questions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
1 Replies
XPRINTF_COMP(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   XPRINTF_COMP(3)

NAME
free_printf_comp, new_printf_comp -- extensible printf compilation SYNOPSIS
#include <printf.h> void free_printf_comp(printf_comp_t pc); printf_comp_t new_printf_comp(printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict fmt); DESCRIPTION
To ameliorate some of the slowness caused by the extra overhead in extensible printf (see xprintf(5)), a compile/execute mechanism has been created. The new_printf_comp() function compiles the given format string, along with a printf domain (see xprintf_domain(3)) and an extended locale (see xlocale(3)), and returns a printf_comp_t structure. The domain may not be NULL, but the locale can be NULL, which means to use the current locale, either the per-thread locale if it was set, or else the global locale. Because the printf_comp_t structure records the domain and locale, care should be taken if either of these are changed. Once a printf_comp_t structure is created, it can be passed to one of the extensible printf execution variants, described in xprintf_exec(3), along with the necessary arguments. Creating the printf_comp_t structure needs to be done only once, but it can be passed to extensible printf execution variants any number of times. When the printf_comp_t structure is no longer needed, it should be passed to free_printf_comp() to release internal memory. RETURN VALUES
The new_printf_comp() function returns the new structure, or NULL on error (usually NULL domain or out of memory condition). SEE ALSO
xlocale(3), xprintf_domain(3), xprintf_exec(3), xprintf(5) Darwin Aug 19, 2012 Darwin