Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Best way to setup my own environmental variables ? Post 302402378 by wfavorite on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 04:05:45 PM
Old 03-09-2010
Another option for functions (when using ksh*) is the FPATH variable.

[* Note that in AIX /bin/sh is the same binary as ksh. I know this is true for 5.x and later, verify for yourself on 4.x. Also note that you can use ksh syntax even when called as sh.]

This allows you to maintain a directory of function "files" that will be autosourced when needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

environmental varibles

flavor -- AIX 4.2.1 I am putting together some HTML pages, some of which contain forms. The problem pops up when I attempt to pass variables (from the forms) from one HTML page to a cgi-like page created using ksh. I have used the $1 - $9 vars, but they do not work with the passing. With... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xiix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Environmental Variables - where stored ?

Hi all ! Yesterday I defined an environmental variable PATH, but today when I restarted machine, I could not see that it was stored any place. Is there any file where I could save the settings ? I have quite a few env.variables defined, so I need a smarter way to define. regards D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environmental Variable

Hi, I'm exporting an environmental variable from a C program using putenv function. I'm calling the exe of the C program from shell script. But when I display the environmental variables from the Shell script, My varaible is not getting displayed. Can anyone please tell me how to get it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

4. AIX

NIM server setup on etherchannel setup environment

I know that IBM's official stance is that NIM does not work on etherchannel environment, but has anyone able to get around it? I'm working on a p5-590 LPAR system, and the NIM master and clients are all on the same frame. Any help is appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passing environmental Variables

In my script when I change an env variable in the parent shell it is only changed for that session - it there away to change it permanently using a script so that when I use rlogin (create a child session) that the env variable is set correctly? Basically what I am trying to do is to pass a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] command line substitution with environmental variables

Hi, I'm using an array that contains compiler FLAGS that need to be executed either before ./configure or after the main 'make' command. example of array containing compiler flags. ------------------------------------------------- FLAGS="CFLAGS=\"-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle environmental variables in shells script

Hi, Getting below error on executing the shell script which initiates sqlplus How to set oracle enviornment variables in the shell script ? With Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with manipulating environmental variables in UNIX

I am wondering if there is away to increment a date in c shell. What I need to do is basic, but I lack the knowledge. I have they following environmental variable in my job scripts setenv YYYY `date '+%Y'` I then set YYYY to be part of my output dataset name: setenv dd_OUTPUTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Don't understand the practical difference between command aliases and environmental variables

Hey, I'm recently learning Unix from the video course by Kevin Scoglund. I'm stuck at the moment where he goes into Environmenat variables. I have some issues with understanding what's the essential difference between EV and command aliases: for instance, by writing the command alias ll='ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

<< Environmental Variables are not set when script completes >>

Hi Team, I have a wrapper script which i have pasted below, it internally calls one python script to generate Environmental in a file called /home/oracle/myenv.sh, when i execute this script via wrapper script, its not reflecting in my current session, still showing old env variables. any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
2 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)