Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing Carriage return and merging data Post 302402365 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 03:01:57 PM
Old 03-09-2010
Code:
awk '{ if( $0 ~ /^(ADD|MODIFY|DELETE)/ && NR>1) {print ""; print$0} else {print $0} } ' filename | sed '/^$/d'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing carriage return characters from file

Hello there, I need to remove carriage return characters (\n and \r) from any input file specified. This is what I am doing right now: - dumping the file to octal format using the command 'od -c file_name - removing and \s and \n characters using sed commands What I need to do now is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1saini
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage return to create one record

I have a file with multiple records in it and want to create a single record by removing all the carriage returns, is there a sed command or another command that will easily allow this to happen. current layout 813209A 813273C 812272B expected result 813209A813273C812272B previously I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing carriage return and newline

Hi, I'm not very familiar with unix shell. I want to replace the combination of two carriage returns and one newline with one carriage return and one newline. I think the best way to do this is to use sed. I tried something like this: sed -e "s#\#\#g" file.txt but it doesn't work. Thanx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mored
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage Return and or line feed from a file

Hello I'm trying to write a shell script which can remove a carriage return and/or line feed from a file, so the resulting file all ends up on one line. So, I begin with a file like this text in file!<CR> line two!<CR> line three!<CR> END!<CR> And I want to end up with a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tbone231
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue with Removing Carriage Return (^M) in delimited file

Hi - I tried to remove ^M in a delimited file using "tr -d "\r" and "sed 's/^M//g'", but it does not work quite well. While the ^M is removed, the format of the record is still cut in half, like a,b, c c,d,e The delimited file is generated using sh script by outputing a SQL query result to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirahc
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces after carriage return

I have a file that I have to place a carriage return at the end of each line for another program to process it. I also need to remove all spaces after the carriage return. I searched the forums and found this command, but it removes all spaces: sed "s/*//g" ic527.txt > ic527.new The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search_Replace with a Carriage Return

Hey folks, I've been working on this for some time. Seems simple, but I'm stumped. I need the following data format: New_York:Commercial Geology Geophysics Petrophysics Production_Engineering Reservoir_Engineering Pasadena:Commercial ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage return in a file after particular string

Hi All, I want to remove carriage return in a file using some unix command without writing a script my file is as follows abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 I want the output as follows: abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 , Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return ksh

Hello, How do i usecarriage return in ksh. I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen. I tried: until ; do echo "bla bla \r" done please advice. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage return/line feeds on multiple lines

I would like to remove carriage returns/line feeds in a text file, but in a specific cadence: Read first line (Header Line 1), remove cr/lf at the end (replace it with a space ideally); Read the next line (Line of Text 2), leave the cr/lf intact; Read the next line, remove the cr/lf; Read... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomr2012
14 Replies
SHELR(1)																  SHELR(1)

NAME
shelr - screencasting for shell ninjas DESCRIPTION
Shelr records terminal output and can replay it. Also you can shere Your records at http://shelr.tv/ or other services. SYNOPSIS
shelr command [id] COMMANDS
record Will record your terminal unless you type exit or Ctrl+D and store it to $HOME/.local/share/shelr/ list lists all your shellcasts. play plays local or remote shellcast. push publish your shellcast dump dump shellcast as json to current directory. EXAMPLES
Record your shellcast: $ shelr record $ # do something ... $ exit List recorded shellcasts: $ shelr list Play local shellcast: $ shelr play 1293702847 # play your own local record $ shelr play record.json # created with shelr dump $ shelr play last # will play most recent local record Play remote shellcast: $ shelr play http://shelr.tv/records/4d1f7c3890820d6144000002.json Publish your shellcast: $ shelr push 1293702847 $ shelr push last # will push most recent local record Setup recording backend: $ shelr backend script $ shelr backend ttyrec BUGS
Windows heh. COPYRIGHT
(C) 2010, 2011, 2012 Antono Vasiljev self@antono.info Licensed under GPLv3+ SEE ALSO
script(1), scriptreplay(1), ttyrec(1), ttyplay(1) April 2012 SHELR(1)