Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Executing expect script giving message as bad interpreter: Permission denied Post 302402350 by niks_yv on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 01:32:18 PM
Old 03-09-2010
Executing expect script giving message as bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi Gurus,

I am new to scripting and needs your help in expect script used for telnet. I wrote a simple script as

Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect-5.43 -f
spawn telnet localhost 2233
expect "password:"
send "secret\r" 
send "i data.cnbc.com\r"
send "exit\r"
expect eof

When I am trying to execute it, it gives message as:
Code:
./expect_script.exp 
-bash: ./expect_script.exp: /usr/bin/expect-5.43: bad interpreter: Permission denied

Could you pls help me what's wrong with it?
Thanks in Advance

Regards,
niks.

Last edited by Scott; 03-09-2010 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

today i started the LFS book (version 4.0). Basically i am using slackware 9.0 to try and install a new linux completely from source on another partition. Now i took the book's recommendations and created a user called lfs so i wouldn't have to do the stuff as root, and i have got the new LFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calum
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why ' Permission denied' when executing a command?

Hi All, When I execute a command on Unix and it says 'Permission denied'. What could be the reason and how can it be resolved? Many thanks, David (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_wang
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad interpreter: Permission denied

I am writing an expect script but am getting a bad interpreter: permission denied error. I don't think the error has anything to do with expect itself, I think I am missing something in how I start the file. For instance, when I run the file under the expect directory it works: cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Permission denied message for parent directory

Hi All, I have an issue that's eating my head for few days. I would appreciate if anyone could help me out in this to resolve this. In Solaris 8 container I am facing the below issue. As oracle user when I do ls -l in /dboracle mountpoint getting permission denied error messages. $ ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreerag446
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied while executing rsh

Hi All, I have two servers, say server1 and server2. I have put the entries of both servers in /.rhosts file of both servers. So, when I tried to run following from server1- rsh server2 "ls" Permission denied was printed on console. Can anyone help me out? Regards, akash mahakode (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi I am running a script: #!bin/bash set -x echo"select * from celldatamap;" || sqlcsv -v -h -s ',' -d MTNSA11G -u datasafe -p datasafe > andrea.csv When I run my script ./tablescript.sh I get the following error: $ ./tablescript.sh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
3 Replies

7. Programming

Permission denied when creating message queue

Hi guys. i have wrote a simple program to test message queue attributes. here it is: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <mqueue.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <string.h> #include <errno.h> #include <sys/stat.h> int main() { struct mq_attr attr; mqd_t mqd; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad interpreter when running script

Hi All, I'm not confortable in writing script, can someone can help me, when I run that script below i found this error code : -bash: ./script.sh: /bin/sh.: bad interpreter: Here is the script for i in * x=${i##*.} z=$(perl -e 'print time;') t=$(echo $z-$x|bc)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzb23
12 Replies

9. Programming

msgget message queue always get permission denied

I want to use msgget() to obtain a message queue between two processes, here is my code: the first one create the mq, the second one open it and add a message to it. But when I execute the second one, I get permission denied. I've already desperately tried everything I can think of to solve this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefino
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing bash file with sudo for the second time, leads to permission denied, for some commands

I have a script that checks if the script has been ran with sudo. If the script is not ran as sudo, the current script is being executed with exec sudo bash. You are asked for a password, you type in the password, success. Everything is perfect - the commands inside the script are ran as sudo.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boqsc
1 Replies
opx25(1M)																 opx25(1M)

NAME
opx25 - execute HALGOL programs SYNOPSIS
scriptname] char] file-descriptor] file-descriptor] string] DESCRIPTION
The commands, including are targeted for removal from HP-UX; see the below. HALGOL is a simple language for communicating with devices such as modems and X.25 PADs. It has simple statements similar to and that are described below. Options recognizes the following options: Causes to read script as the input program. If is not specified, reads the standard input as a script. Causes to use char as the first character in the input stream instead of actually reading it from the input descriptor. This is useful sometimes when the program that calls is forced to read a character but then cannot ``unread'' it. Causes to use number for the output file descriptor (i.e., the device to use for The default is 1. Causes to use 'number' for the input file descriptor (ie, the device to use for 'expect'). The default is 0. Causes to save this string for use when is encountered in a command. Causes to turn on debugging mode. Causes to turn on verbose mode. An script file contains lines of the following types: (empty) Empty lines are ignored. Lines beginning with a slash are ignored (comments) ID ID denotes a label, and is limited to alphanumerics or string must be surrounded by double quotes. The text is sent to the device specified by the option. Non-printable charac- ters are represented as in C; i.e., as DDD, where DDD is the octal ascii character code. in a send string is the string that followed the option. Send a break "character" to the device. Here number is how many seconds to wait before giving up. 0 means wait forever, but this is not advised. Whenever string appears in the input within the time allotted, the command succeeds. Thus, it is not necessary to specify the entire string. For example, if you know that the PAD will send several lines followed by an prompt, you could just use as the string. The program etc.) is run with the args specified. Do not use quotes here. Also, the program is invoked directly (using so wild cards, redirection, etc. are not possible. If the most recent expect or run encountered an error, go to the label ID. Similar to but does not fork. Similar to but goes to standard error instead of to the device. Sets the program in debug mode. It echoes each line to as well as giving the result of each expect and run. This can be useful for writing new scripts. The command disables this feature. Sends subsequent incoming characters to This can be used in the file as a security measure, because part of the incoming data stream contains the number of the caller. There is a similar feature in it writes the time and the login name into the same logfile. The command disables this feature. Similar to but better in some cases because it sends only digits to the log file, and not other characters. The command dis- ables this feature. Sets a global timeout value. Each expect uses time in the timeout reservoir; when this time is gone, the program gives up (exit 1). If this com- mand is not used, there is no global timeout. Also, the global timeout can be reset any time, and a value of 0 turns it off. Exits with this value. 0 is success; anything else is failure. To perform a rudimentary test of configuration files, run by hand, using the option followed by the name of the script file. then sends to standard output and expects from standard input; thus you can type the input, observe the output, and use the command to see messages. See the file for a good example of HALGOL programming. WARNINGS
Use of commands, including is discouraged because they are targeted for removal from HP-UX. Use ftp(1) or rcp(1) instead. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
getx25(1), uucp(1). TO BE OBSOLETED opx25(1M)