Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Terminal logging character problem -Newbie- Post 302401995 by jim mcnamara on Monday 8th of March 2010 02:00:58 PM
Old 03-08-2010
Here is a discussion of terminal colors (those goofy characters) and how to deal with them:

So You Like Color--The Mysterious ^[[ Characters | Linux Journal

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run the start script from the terminal? Newbie Time!

Hi, How do I "run a script"? I'm trying to start up some software called ElectroServer 3, and was told I just needed to "run the start script from the terminal to get things going". From the terminal, i use cd command to change to the software's directory, and I guess the script in question is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: waking_bear
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending a null character to a terminal

I'm testing out some ESMTP AUTH stuff, and it requires that the username and password be on the same line separated by a null character. Does anyone know how to echo the ASCII null character? Thanks, Alex (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

problem in logging into root

when i am trying to login through root i am getting following error Last successful login for root: Tue Feb 3 16:44:40 IST-5:30 2009 on pts/tc Last unsuccessful login for root: Tue Feb 3 16:41:01 IST-5:30 2009 on pts/tc Please wait...checking for disk quotas crt0: ERROR couldn't open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmca
6 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

newbie looking for Terminal tutorials

I've just started learning about Unix and the Terminal in Mac OSX. I've found a few good starting resources, such as OSXFAQ - Technical News and Support for Mac OS X, but most of them are based on OSX 10.2 or thereabouts. Does anyone know of any good tutorials that specifically address Leopard? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mightypants
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging Via Terminal using cURL

I am having trouble logging in to an account via cURL in the terminal. I need to be able to log in to this page then get a query result from another. I need to do this as a shell script all at once. Im not sure how to handle cookies with terminal & have found very little example. curl ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: handell
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in logging webmin

hi , i have a problem in logging webmin in ubuntu, i forgot my webmin password, and in internet i searched for result , at last i got one common answer that /usr/lib/webmin/changepasswd.pl /etc/webmin username passwd . i changed the passwd and when i logged into webmin it shows new ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramuk
0 Replies

7. SCO

sco remote logging problem

Hello, I am trying to write log from sco box to a remote host. We already have that setting working for linux server using syslog. With this setting(on LINUX) *.* @remote-host for sco I have this *.debug /usr/adm/syslog *.* ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polestar
3 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need help for a newbie to stream tweets with the Terminal

Hey everyone, First, I'm not sure whether I should have posted this thread under the basic Unix commands forum or not, so I apologize if this was not the best place to do so... Then, as the title of this discussion suggests, I would like to stream specific tweets for research purposes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelGauthier
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies
SCRIPTREPLAY(1) 						   User Commands						   SCRIPTREPLAY(1)

NAME
scriptreplay - play back typescripts, using timing information SYNOPSIS
scriptreplay [options] [-t] timingfile [typescript [divisor]] DESCRIPTION
This program replays a typescript, using timing information to ensure that output happens at the same speed as it originally appeared when the script was recorded. The replay simply displays the information again; the programs that were run when the typescript was being recorded are not run again. Since the same information is simply being displayed, scriptreplay is only guaranteed to work properly if run on the same type of terminal the typescript was recorded on. Otherwise, any escape characters in the typescript may be interpreted differently by the terminal to which scriptreplay is sending its output. The timing information is what script(1) outputs to standard error if it is run with the -t parameter. By default, the typescript to display is assumed to be named typescript, but other filenames may be specified, as the second parameter or with option -s. If the third parameter is specified, it is used as a speed-up multiplier. For example, a speed-up of 2 makes scriptreplay go twice as fast, and a speed-up of 0.1 makes it go ten times slower than the original session. OPTIONS
The first three options will overide old-style arguments. -t, --timing file File containing script timing output. -s, --typescript file File containing the script terminal output. -d, --divisor number Speed up the replay displaying this number of times. The argument is a floating point number. It's called divisor because it divides the timings by this factor. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display a help message and exit. EXAMPLE
% script --timing=file.tm script.out Script started, file is script.out % ls <etc, etc> % exit Script done, file is script.out % scriptreplay --timing file.tm --typescript script.out SEE ALSO
script(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 James Youngman Copyright (C) 2008 Karel Zak This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Released under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later. AUTHOR
The original scriptreplay program was written by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>. The program was re-written in C by James Youngman <jay@ gnu.org> and Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. AVAILABILITY
The scriptreplay command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPTREPLAY(1)