Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get content of a variable into text file (sed)? Post 302401551 by cfajohnson on Saturday 6th of March 2010 08:26:20 PM
Old 03-06-2010
Code:
{
 printf "%s" "[nfo]"
 cat "file.nfo"
 printf "%s\n" "[/nfo]"
} > file.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text to file, sed and variable not acting right

I want to put text stored in a variable into a file on the 7th line. I'm having trouble with this line: sed '7i\'$text'' $file It works perfectly for a single word, but fails if there are two words because of the space. I've tried several forms of quoting and this is the only one that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the specified content of the text into a variable.

I am having one string like ./usr1/Server/temp/app.env ./usr1/Server/temp/upp/app.env ./usr1/Server/ORIG_temp/app.env ./usr1/Server/ORIG_temp/upp/app.env ./usr1/Server/work_temp_40/app.env ./usr1/Server/work_temp_40/upp/app.env ./usr1/fd/app.env ./usr1/PurgeArchive/app.env ./usr1/bm/bin/app.env... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshmurs
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to create a text file whose content is the text of another files

Hello everyone, I work under Ubuntu 11.10 (c-shell) I need a script to create a new text file whose content is the text of another text files that are in the directory $DIRMAIL at this moment. I will show you an example: - On the one hand, there is a directory $DIRMAIL where there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tenteyu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux