Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to set password/encrypt a shell script Post 302401472 by pludi on Saturday 6th of March 2010 08:42:15 AM
Old 03-06-2010
This question has been asked over and over and over and over again. Fact is: as long as the file has to be interpreted, it has to be readable by the interpreter, and by default is readable by the user running it. Even if you hid it inside a C program it would still be readable using the strings program. For ksh there's a tool called shcomp which "compiles" your script, but in reality it only converts it to a pre-parsed file, which can easily be de-parsed, eg. by running your script with the -x parameter.

If you really want to protect the algorithms you use, code it up in a high-level language, but even that can be de-compiled.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script....encrypt password and use

Could someone please help me...I have an expect script. There's a need for a log in during the script and a password is required...right now the password is just a variable in the expect script...what would be the best way to put that in an encrypted flat file and have the expect script pull the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set password using a shell script

Hi All How can I set password in linux.It is OK if it display password in plain text in script. manually i can set: #passwd Changing password for root Enter new password: Bad password: too weak. Re-enter new password: Password changed. # I want this to be done by script.Please let me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I set Password to open my shell script?

Hi All, please help me on how to secure my shell script? I chnanged it to read-only mode using 'chmod'. but still i would like to set password for open the script. Is there any way? Please help me!! Thankyou all in advance!! :b: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide/encrypt password in script?

Hi I have following problem Im writing a script (in bash ) , where need to be written login & passwd for databas client . Its need to in following form login passwd@dbhostname . The problem is so anybody can read it so the passwd & login are visible and thats not very safety . Can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to encrypt a password in shell script

Hi, I have run the below script which is connected to db2 v9.5. There is no issue. The only problem is how to encrypt the dbpwd? #!/bin/ksh #---- Set Environment dbalias="dev1db" dbuser="user1" dbpwd="password" #---- Connect to the Database cd /opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/bin db2 "connect to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt DB password in Script

Hi, I have a SQL which i want to run through a shell script. query_result=`/home/oracle/product/11.2.0/bin/sqlplus -S uname/pwd@DBNAME <<! set heading off feedback off trimspool on set pagesize 0 set linesize 9999 spool $PARAM_PATH/param_name.txt; Select sysdate from dual; spool off;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt Password file and decrypt in a shell script

Hi All, I have stored Oracle database passwords in a hidden file - .pass_file. My shell script reads the hidden file, gets the password and then logs in to the Oracle database and runs some SQL script. My requirement is: I need to provide the shell script to be executed by someone else. So,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunpraveen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and decrypt a password in shell script

Hi All, very good morning all. I am trying to connect to informatica repository by using shell script. I have written pmrep connect command in the script file. But i need to provide repository, domain ,username and password to connect. Username and password are hard coded in the script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SekhaReddy
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and decrypt the password in a Shell Script

Hello, I have the following UNIX shell script which connects to the teradata database and executes the SQL Queries. For this, I am passing database name, username and password. I don't want to reveal my password to anyone. So, is there any way that I can encrypt my password and read the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to set user password to never expire in UNIX servers

Hi, I have a requirement where in i need to write a shell script to set users password to never expire. I know the command which is used to perform the same .. which is chage command. But, could not figure out how to do the same in shell script. Could you please help me with the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suren424
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD