Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the need of ownership to a file/dir? Post 302401352 by cfkap on Friday 5th of March 2010 04:22:15 PM
Old 03-05-2010
Another question about ownership and permissions

Hello Unix community. I have a follow-up question about ownership and permissions. I am new to Unix too. In fact, I am not a programmer but an auditor. So you might say I really don't know anything! I was given the following as an answer to one of my questions. Can someone translate this in plain english for me please?

NewBREW#l /etc/su*
-r-x------ 1 root root 3560 Jan 11 2003 /etc/suds_ctrl@
NewBREW#

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix ownership from directories and file

Hi, I have newly installed sun solaris on my pc since I would like to learn something more about unix. During the installation, I had to assign a password for the super user root.After the installation, the book I am following suggested me to create a new user which I did. My home directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giulianob
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help regarding file ownership

hi friends,i have a doubt,if there is a file for which i have only read access then is there any way to execute it,plz reply soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit007
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a file from one dir to another dir

hi i have a script compareFiles() { find /tmp/Satya -type f | \ while read filename1 do echo "----------------------------------------$filename1" find /tmp/Satya -type f | \ while read filename2 do if diff $filename1 $filename2 then echo "Both files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file ownership confusion

Hello all, I have a script that runs on both the test and production box. The script is owned by a user (abcd for example) with permission set to 700. When this script is run as a root, the log file generated has owner and group as abcdowner and abcdgroup respectively. Now, when I run the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving file(s) from dir to dir

Hi, I am fairly new to writing scripts. I am trying to write a script that moves either One or All of the files from one directory to another. I know how to make the actual command to do it, but i don't quite know how to add operators to it, ie -i or -a. I want -i to move one file from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirJoeh
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying dir (and sub dir) file names from ftp server to txt file in diff server

Hey all, i want to copy only the file names from an ftp server (directory and all sub directory) to a text file in another server (non ftp), i.e. i want to recursively move through directories and copy only the names to a text file. any help is appreciated...thank you in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deking
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list all files in dir and sub-dir's recursively along with file size?

I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In have to list all the files in directory and its sub directories along with file path and size of the file Please help me in this regard and many thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux file ownership

Hi Friends, I am using RHEL5.3 64bit. I have a data filesystem on this, which have lot of files copied from another server. I cannot see correct owner and group displayed for these servers. It shows 113 for owner and 755 for group. Anybody please tell me why it is? Regards, Arumon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arumon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Ownership Change

Hi, I have several directories under an upload directory where differnt users upload their files (with exxactly the same file name every week) using their own user ids. There is a requirement that once any user uploads the file I have to clean that file and remove extra whitespaces and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbhonde11
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file Dir and Sub Dir same time

Hi Guys , I want create files Dire and Sub Dire. as same time using variable. EX: x1="/hk/Pt/put/NC/R1.txt" x2="/hk/pt/Put/Ot/NC/RN.txt" And i want delete all after done with my script. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies
XtOwnSelection(3)						   XT FUNCTIONS 						 XtOwnSelection(3)

NAME
XtOwnSelection, XtOwnSelectionIncremental, XtDisownSelection - set selection owner SYNTAX
Boolean XtOwnSelection(Widget w, Atom selection, Time time, XtConvertSelectionProc convert_proc, XtLoseSelectionProc lose_selection, XtSe- lectionDoneProc done_proc); Boolean XtOwnSelectionIncremental(Widget w, Atom selection, Time time, XtConvertSelectionIncrProc convert_callback, XtLoseSelectionIncrProc lose_callback, XtSelectionDoneIncrProc done_callback, XtCancelConvertSelectionProc cancel_callback, XtPointer client_data); void XtDisownSelection(Widget w, Atom selection, Time time); ARGUMENTS
convert_proc Specifies the procedure that is to be called whenever someone requests the current value of the selection. done_proc Specifies the procedure that is called after the requestor has received the selection or NULL if the owner is not interested in being called back. lose_selection Specifies the procedure that is to be called whenever the widget has lost selection ownership or NULL if the owner is not inter- ested in being called back. selection Specifies an atom that describes the type of the selection (for example, XA_PRIMARY, XA_SECONDARY, or XA_CLIPBOARD). time Specifies the timestamp that indicates when the selection ownership should commence or is to be relinquished. w Specifies the widget that wishes to become the owner or to relinquish ownership. DESCRIPTION
The XtOwnSelection function informs the Intrinsics selection mechanism that a widget believes it owns a selection. It returns True if the widget has successfully become the owner and False otherwise. The widget may fail to become the owner if some other widget has asserted ownership at a time later than this widget. Note that widgets can lose selection ownership either because someone else asserted later own- ership of the selection or because the widget voluntarily gave up ownership of the selection. Also note that the lose_selection procedure is not called if the widget fails to obtain selection ownership in the first place. The XtOwnSelectionIncremental procedure informs the Intrinsics incremental selection mechanism that the specified widget wishes to own the selection. It returns True if the specified widget successfully becomes the selection owner or False otherwise. For more information about selection, target, and time, see Section 2.6 of the Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual. A widget that becomes the selection owner using XtOwnSelectionIncremental may use XtDisownSelection to relinquish selection ownership. The XtDisownSelection function informs the Intrinsics selection mechanism that the specified widget is to lose ownership of the selection. If the widget does not currently own the selection either because it lost the selection or because it never had the selection to begin with, XtDisownSelection does nothing. After a widget has called XtDisownSelection, its convert procedure is not called even if a request arrives later with a timestamp during the period that this widget owned the selection. However, its done procedure will be called if a conversion that started before the call to XtDisownSelection finishes after the call to XtDisownSelection. SEE ALSO
XtAppGetSelectionTimeout(3), XtGetSelectionValue(3) X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libXt 1.1.3 XtOwnSelection(3)