Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A Shift into UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A Shift into UNIX Post 302401307 by mearex on Friday 5th of March 2010 12:59:15 PM
Old 03-05-2010
A Shift into UNIX

Hi,

Firstly, I did a search for this question both on this site and on the internet and have not been able to find a suitable answer that is not general in nature.

I have always been a Windows user. I use my girl friend's mac every now and then, but I always come back to windows. For a variety of reason, windows has been annoying me lately to the point where I want to strangle it. I won't go into details.

So I am considering using something different. Yes - I mean different. I saw Ubuntu and for the most part it looked mostly like Windows. Now I'm not saying that is a bad thing - but I figure if I am going to think about switching OS' I might as well think about really experiencing the other side.

I used to program and C (for hardware) and Java (for enterprise apps) at one point. So technology is not strange to me. Although I was never great at in- nor in love with it.

Having said that - what would be the best Unix flavor for me?

ps.
I plan to use my unix box to function as possibly an email hub, possibly a storage server, maybe a hub to connect multiple devices through.

Once I get proficient enough, I would like to look into backtrack (because penTesting is what I manage and I would like to know more about what it is the off-shore teams are actually doing).

Last edited by mearex; 03-05-2010 at 02:06 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift command

There is an error when i am trying to use the shift command in this way: ($1 = -d, $2 = 123, $3 = -c etc etc) for $arg in $@ do case $arg in "-d") shift; (so that the $2 will become the $arg now) (and while it loop the 2nd time,) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm SHIFT crazy

hi all, when I press SHIFT at once it work like as I've hold it (like CapsLock is On, but it Off) ! ... and if I press F1 (or another function key) it put out 24z :( it is occure on my remote sun 8 , xterm session help me please ! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oneivan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift command

Hi Folks, In shell scripting the maximum no. of command line parameters becomes 9(Am i right). If we want to get more than 9 parameters we use the shift command. Even here there are two possibilities. 1. Without the use of variables - The arguments are lost and the lost no. is equal to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding the shift command???

I am running a program where in I have this command which is giving error the shift: number is not correct. can you please tell me how shift actually works? the line which is giving error is- set $PARAM; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift Is it related somewhere to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift not working

Hi, I wrote one script, in between script needs to use 10th and 11th positional parameters, that time i used "shift". Here i am facing the below find problem, ./DataCount.sh: cannot shift I tried 1) I have read man pages for shift 2) Before but * and ** 3) Simple shift with out giving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shift Characters in Text

Hi Is there a unix script that will change the text in lefthand column to text in righthand column. 0 0 1 1 10 10 100 100 1000 1000 1001 1001 1002 1002 1003 1003 1004 1004 1005... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1184jap
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script assistance with shift J

Hey all, I need some assistance. I'm writing a script to eject tapes from a tape library, but the library is not a queued system and can only eject 15 tapes at a time. I added paste -d : -s so that it goes through full_tapes and puts each media_id on one line separated by the :. Now I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Shift command

Hello Expert Can any one please explain what is the use of shift command in general terms: set -- $(ls -t) shift rm -Rf $* what is the use of shift command over here. Thanks a lot for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift command help

#!/bin/bash hostname=$1; shift for hostname in $1 do ping $hostname done I want to run the above script as hostname.sh yahoo.com google.com cnn.com. I want to shift each hostname to $1. How can do that with above code as currently it's not shifting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shift record from one position to another

Hi All, I have a file and it is a fixed length file. I want to move the values from 42,6 ( where 6 is length) to the 36th position Original file: 00000100000100000100000100000100001 000870 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies
rt-crontool(1)						     Request Tracker Reference						    rt-crontool(1)

NAME
rt-crontool - Command-line interface to Request Tracker SYNOPSIS
# find all active tickets in the queue 'general' and set their priority to 99 if they are overdue: rt-crontool --search RT::Search::ActiveTicketsInQueue --search-arg general --condition RT::Condition::Overdue --action RT::Action::SetPriority --action-arg 99 --verbose # Escalate tickets rt-crontool --search RT::Search::ActiveTicketsInQueue --search-arg general --action RT::Action::EscalatePriority DESCRIPTION
This script is a tool to act on tickets from an external scheduling tool, such as cron. Security: This tool allows the user to run arbitrary perl modules from within RT. If this tool were setgid, a hostile local user could use this tool to gain administrative access to RT. It is incredibly important that nonprivileged users not be allowed to run this tool. It is suggested that you create a non-privileged unix user with the correct group membership and RT access to run this tool. OPTIONS
search Specify the search module you want to use search-arg An argument to pass to --search condition Specify the condition module you want to use condition-arg An argument to pass to --condition action Specify the action module you want to use action-arg An argument to pass to --action template Specify name or id of template(s) you want to use transaction Specify if you want to use either 'first', 'last' or 'all' transactions transaction-type Specify the comma separated list of transactions' types you want to use log Adjust LogToScreen config option verbose Output status updates to STDOUT perl v5.14.2 2013-05-22 rt-crontool(1)